New spear fisherman with a couple of questions.

Baydoe

Morning. So I just started getting into spear fishing and last weekend was my 1st time going solo. Just had a few questions and was wondering if anyone could answer them for me.

1. How far down do you actually want your decoy. I was in about 10ft of water last week and wasn't sure how low in the water to place my decoys?

2. How aggressive do you guys like to get with moving the decoys? is less more? or keep the things moving?

If you have any other advice i would gladly take it! thanks everyone!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on water clarity 1ft off of the bottom seems to be a good starting point. As far as decoy movement aggressive movement will tend to draw fish in but when they are close they are more likely to race in strike and give very little opportunity to throw, smaller movements and jiggle gives them some movement and they can come in slower allowing more time to get a shot.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kind of new myself but I usually have the decoy down about 6 ft. Have fished in 17 ft. of water with the decoy up at 6 ft. and fish did come up frequently enough that speared my limit with no problem. I move the decoy pretty continuous but not real aggressive. Depends on the decoy. Have one that swims in bigger circle than another. The one that swims in smaller circles doesn't seem to work as well it to aggressive.

There is no catch and release while spearing. So, even though there is no shortage of northern pike in most lakes, make sure it's one you want to kill before throwing the spear.

I picked 6 ft. down for the decoy because it seems I'm more accurate at that depth. Too deep and I miss a lot of them. I actually drop the spear more than throw. My throw is more like a dart throw. I had no teacher, it's been all trial and error.

Lastly, make sure you are careful and don't fall in the hole.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Careful, spearing is addicting. That said the best advice I can give you is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. By that I mean, find the fish highways. The drop offs, weed edges, points, and channels. Pike tend to follow these regardless of their feeding mood. I don't like to be deeper than say 8-9 ft and prefer weed edges or points that are close to deep water. Each spot is different so you have to decide at what depth the pike can see your decoy the best. Sometimes it's right on the bottom and others it's a few feet up. Take for example a steep dropping point which goes from shore to 20 ft deep in about 40 yards that has weeds close to shore and you set up right on the weed line with your decoy a foot off the bottom in 7 ft. Fish that are deeper can cruise by the point and see your decoy at pretty much any depth as you are in open water. Conversely, if there are fish in the shallows, they may not see your decoy due to the weed growth and fallen weeds that tend to cover the bottom of the lake. In that case, I tend to put my decoy about a bit higher, say 2-3 ft off the bottom to start with and see what happens. I have noticed that when you set up on the weed edge or drop off edge the majority of the fish come parallel to the edge so I set up the house to maximize my throwing space for that. As far as the action of the decoy the most important thing to remember is that the pike will most often, mirror the action of the decoy. If you put lots of aggressive action into the decoy the pike will tend to come in super aggressively. Many times that isn't the best as they come flying in, smack the decoy, shake their heads, and bolt or they only give you what I call an "Oley" shot as they are swimming away. If you decoy is still, the pike tend to slowly creep in giving you time to organize yourself. A more stationary decoy will also attract more neutral to negative fish as I've found that an aggressively moving decoy can actually prevent, especially larger pike, from wanting to come in and chase something. However, a stationary decoy can also be overlooked by passing pike more often as it isn't moving. I tend to prefer a slowly spinning decoy with slow lift fall jigging action as I believe you get the best of both worlds. A bit of movement, but not to much to trigger those explosive strike and bolt type attacks. That being said, there are days where you have to throw everything I've said out the window and throw the kitchen sink at'em. Like I said, careful, spearing can be addictive. Good Luck!!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Careful, spearing is addicting. That said the best advice I can give you is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. By that I mean, find the fish highways. The drop offs, weed edges, points, and channels. Pike tend to follow these regardless of their feeding mood. I don't like to be deeper than say 8-9 ft and prefer weed edges or points that are close to deep water. Each spot is different so you have to decide at what depth the pike can see your decoy the best. Sometimes it's right on the bottom and others it's a few feet up. Take for example a steep dropping point which goes from shore to 20 ft deep in about 40 yards that has weeds close to shore and you set up right on the weed line with your decoy a foot off the bottom in 7 ft. Fish that are deeper can cruise by the point and see your decoy at pretty much any depth as you are in open water. Conversely, if there are fish in the shallows, they may not see your decoy due to the weed growth and fallen weeds that tend to cover the bottom of the lake. In that case, I tend to put my decoy about a bit higher, say 2-3 ft off the bottom to start with and see what happens. I have noticed that when you set up on the weed edge or drop off edge the majority of the fish come parallel to the edge so I set up the house to maximize my throwing space for that. As far as the action of the decoy the most important thing to remember is that the pike will most often, mirror the action of the decoy. If you put lots of aggressive action into the decoy the pike will tend to come in super aggressively. Many times that isn't the best as they come flying in, smack the decoy, shake their heads, and bolt or they only give you what I call an "Oley" shot as they are swimming away. If you decoy is still, the pike tend to slowly creep in giving you time to organize yourself. A more stationary decoy will also attract more neutral to negative fish as I've found that an aggressively moving decoy can actually prevent, especially larger pike, from wanting to come in and chase something. However, a stationary decoy can also be overlooked by passing pike more often as it isn't moving. I tend to prefer a slowly spinning decoy with slow lift fall jigging action as I believe you get the best of both worlds. A bit of movement, but not to much to trigger those explosive strike and bolt type attacks. That being said, there are days where you have to throw everything I've said out the window and throw the kitchen sink at'em. Like I said, careful, spearing can be addictive. Good Luck!!

This is all good advice!

I like to throw a variety of options at them. I fish a hub-style popup house. I cut a hole about 6ft long by about 2 ft wide. I run 3 decoys in the hole. I vary the depths of them. I run one about a foot off the bottom, another one a couple feet off the bottom, and one about half way up. I usually fish from 7-10 ft deep. It is funny how some days they only want a certain color decoy. They will swim past the other 2 like they don't exist to stare at the third decoy. By having options, I can figure out what works.

Also, some days they want the decoy moving and other days if you move it they aren't interested. Generally, getting some action on it is the best though. Good luck!

Baydoe

This is all good advice!

I like to throw a variety of options at them. I fish a hub-style popup house. I cut a hole about 6ft long by about 2 ft wide. I run 3 decoys in the hole. I vary the depths of them. I run one about a foot off the bottom, another one a couple feet off the bottom, and one about half way up. I usually fish from 7-10 ft deep. It is funny how some days they only want a certain color decoy. They will swim past the other 2 like they don't exist to stare at the third decoy. By having options, I can figure out what works.

Also, some days they want the decoy moving and other days if you move it they aren't interested. Generally, getting some action on it is the best though. Good luck!

How do you attache your decoy lines in your hub house?

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use rattle reels with the heavy clamps on them. I can either clamp it to the hub poles. However, most of the times I just run a rope from the hubs on the ceiling and run it the length of the hole. I then clamp the rattle reels to the rope.

Rattle Reel.jpg

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI decoys don't float ... first time I realized this pike came in high hit the line decoy falls to the bottom(I think I had 20lbs mono)…I just stared at it for a while because I had not thought of this happening, even tried spearing it off the bottom. I currently use 50lbs PowerPro then have it attached to micro bungee cord , you need bounce and give in case the northern decides to take a hold of your decoy and run…

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI decoys don't float ... first time I realized this pike came in high hit the line decoy falls to the bottom(I think I had 20lbs mono)…I just stared at it for a while because I had not thought of this happening, even tried spearing it off the bottom. I currently use 50lbs PowerPro then have it attached to micro bungee cord , you need bounce and give in case the northern decides to take a hold of your decoy and run…

I just use braided tipup line on my rattle reel and I put a leader on the end. You adjust the tension on the rattle reel so if a pike hammers it and runs he can take out line. I have never lost a decoy. I have actually pulled a few pike back in to the hole and speared them after they hit it and ran with it. They clamped on and wouldn't let go...

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member

50-60# mono or flouro is what I'm thinking after seeing what 25# Flouro did on tipups a few weeks ago.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually run my decoy about halfway down. Some days they want it moving and some days it is better off just sitting there.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm usually in 8-12' of water that is close to deeper water. Normally run the decoy in the middle third of the water column somewhere, but have had fish come in immediately when I've dropped it near the bottom and even had one come into the hole about a foot deep when I had pulled the decoy out of the water to change it out to a different color. I try not to move the decoy very much to start with, but if I'm not seeing fish I tend to start running it more just out of boredom! If you're in a portable style house, I wouldn't recommend shoveling all the snow off of the ice. For one the snow helps block the light, and even more importantly, it gets really slick if you have it warm and there's no snow on the ice inside the shelter. Another tip for keeping it dark is the puzzle style floor mats. They also keep your feet warmer if it's really cold. My favorite way of hanging decoys in a portable has been one of the rattle reels that hooks over the edge of a bucket. I then run the line through the wire handles of one of those paper binder clips that's clipped to the seam of my Eskimo above the hole. That way the line is right next to me and I don't have to reach out over the hole to grab it when I want to run the decoy. This is only my 5th year of spearing, but like KDM said, it's addictive! Good luck to you and hope you enjoy it!

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
KDM really hit the nail on the head, i also like to have my decoy about 3 feet off the bottom, i dont use the decoy very aggressivly i just lift up on the line and let it do it’s thing every few minutes. In really clear water I have good luck with a red and white decoy. I prefer to spear in about 6-8 FOW. Most of all have fun!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
6-8’ of water. Decoy half way down. Make sure you are ready when u first drop decoy down. I usually wait 5-10 minutes then give a big jig or two and then wait 5-10 minutes again

Put spear in water 1-2’ Before u “throw”. Also take your time. When they sneak in a guy gets excited and wants to go as fast as possible. But they usually give u more time than u would think. I also like to stand up and look straight down at the fish. The water can play tricks with your mind at angles

Ive Speared a lot of pike and have never missed one. It’s pretty easy actually.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
6-8 ft of water is where I like to be too. Start with decoy a few feet off bottom.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31