What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Not concentric
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="PrairieGhost" data-source="post: 178906" data-attributes="member: 704"><p>I have a question for you guys that reload the 6.5 Creedmoor. Have you noticed a change in the Hornady brass?</p><p>The first brass I bought two years ago showed annealing, but the newer brass does not. I had gone from under .2 inches to .5 inches with my rifle. I called Hornady and they said people like shinny brass so they polish after annealing now.</p><p>I had miced the neck of my first brass and it was excellent with a consistent .014 all the way around. I miced the new brass and they range from .0125 to .0155 on the same piece of brass. I had the Hornady concentric gauge which said I was under .005 runout. So I started wondering about the back end of those cases in the Hornady concentric gauge. A couple weeks ago I purchased a RCBS Case Master. It says I range from .002 to .011 runout. My 308 ranges from .008 to .018. So I sized a case and checked for neck runout. Yup, .002 to .009. So I checked a fired case, and that was .000 to .001. Then I turned a neck. That didn't help because the neck was already off center. </p><p>It looks like I will have to fire all my cases, then turn before I size. So after that I will use the new dies I got two days ago. <a href="https://www.midwayusa.com/product/707090/rcbs-gold-medal-match-series-bushing-2-die-set-65-creedmoor" target="_blank">https://www.midwayusa.com/product/707090/rcbs-gold-medal-match-series-bushing-2-die-set-65-creedmoor</a></p><p>If this works out I think I will retire my Redding 308 dies and purchase another set of the RCBS Gold Medal Match. </p><p>Oh, I pulled the bullet on a factory Hornady precision hunter round. .013 all the way around. It's like they have better brass for themselves. Not sure.</p><p>If you wouldn't mind would a couple of you give me the neck diameter of your loaded rounds. I noticed when I pulled my bullets on the rounds that miced more than .005 out of concentricity that I had to pound four hard strokes with the centrifugal bullet puller. I tried a factory and two whacks brought the bullet out.</p><p> I noticed their neck size of a loaded round was .0015 smaller than my loaded rounds. I ordered a .287, .288, and .289 bushing for sizing the neck. Only got the .289 so far and I think it's a little loose. They said order one size smaller and one size larger than your target size. </p><p>My loaded necks were .291 while the Hornady were .2895. What's your 6.5 Creedmoor neck size?</p><p></p><p>Edit: The Hornady factory 143 ELD-X shoots just like my old groups at under .2 inches. So happy my rifle is ok, but I need to solve my reloading problem. Perhaps that's going to require a different brand of brass.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="PrairieGhost, post: 178906, member: 704"] I have a question for you guys that reload the 6.5 Creedmoor. Have you noticed a change in the Hornady brass? The first brass I bought two years ago showed annealing, but the newer brass does not. I had gone from under .2 inches to .5 inches with my rifle. I called Hornady and they said people like shinny brass so they polish after annealing now. I had miced the neck of my first brass and it was excellent with a consistent .014 all the way around. I miced the new brass and they range from .0125 to .0155 on the same piece of brass. I had the Hornady concentric gauge which said I was under .005 runout. So I started wondering about the back end of those cases in the Hornady concentric gauge. A couple weeks ago I purchased a RCBS Case Master. It says I range from .002 to .011 runout. My 308 ranges from .008 to .018. So I sized a case and checked for neck runout. Yup, .002 to .009. So I checked a fired case, and that was .000 to .001. Then I turned a neck. That didn't help because the neck was already off center. It looks like I will have to fire all my cases, then turn before I size. So after that I will use the new dies I got two days ago. [URL]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/707090/rcbs-gold-medal-match-series-bushing-2-die-set-65-creedmoor[/URL] If this works out I think I will retire my Redding 308 dies and purchase another set of the RCBS Gold Medal Match. Oh, I pulled the bullet on a factory Hornady precision hunter round. .013 all the way around. It's like they have better brass for themselves. Not sure. If you wouldn't mind would a couple of you give me the neck diameter of your loaded rounds. I noticed when I pulled my bullets on the rounds that miced more than .005 out of concentricity that I had to pound four hard strokes with the centrifugal bullet puller. I tried a factory and two whacks brought the bullet out. I noticed their neck size of a loaded round was .0015 smaller than my loaded rounds. I ordered a .287, .288, and .289 bushing for sizing the neck. Only got the .289 so far and I think it's a little loose. They said order one size smaller and one size larger than your target size. My loaded necks were .291 while the Hornady were .2895. What's your 6.5 Creedmoor neck size? Edit: The Hornady factory 143 ELD-X shoots just like my old groups at under .2 inches. So happy my rifle is ok, but I need to solve my reloading problem. Perhaps that's going to require a different brand of brass. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Guns and Ammo
Not concentric
Top
Bottom