NOT so big MT Mulie Down

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just returned from a MAGNIFICENTLY SPECTACULAR hunting trip to Montana with Kickemup and I hope he composes his own thread on his experiences as I don't want to steal his thunder relating my own story. We spent 7 days in the beautiful Montana mountains and another 5 days in the more prairie like rolling hills. We had 3 glorious days playing in the snow and had the entire mountain darn near to ourselves. Unfortunately that ended as the weekend drew nearer, but all good things seem to come to an end too soon. We rode our quads almost 7 miles back into the wilderness twice a day through unspeakably awe inspiring snow filled pine forests, wind blown peaks, high alpine meadows, across babbling streams, and into steep rocky ravines in search of Elk and Mule Deer. We saw Bull Moose, Mule Deer, Elk, Fox, Rabbits, Squirrels, and various birds throughout the week. It was AWESOME!!!

23897993_1566436046710446_1182764229_n.jpg

We had perfect hunting conditions at the start and then we had exceptionally warm weather, rain, and lost most of the snow cover down lower on the mountain. Fortunately that didn't affect the high country as much, but it made a mess of the low country. The snow remained in the draws and ravines up high, but diminished slightly on the saddles and fingers. The sunrises were spectacular and the myriad of vivid colors just baffled the mind and then were gone just as fast as they appeared.

PB160522.jpg

We had spent 3 days on the mountain and all I had observed was a great big mulie doe and her two fawns before I spotted my first antlered critter. I was sitting under a massive pine overlooking a small meadow uphill from me, a pine choked draw directly to my front and a wind blown side hill down the draw when a fair sized 3X3 Mulie sauntered out of a poplar grove and into the meadow. He only showed himself for a few seconds and all he offered was a good look as him in the binocs before slowly disappearing into the pines as he took a small depression in the meadow that prevented any shot opportunities. It was very uplifting to finally spy a mountain buck, but was also a let down when he strolled completely unaware of my presence right out of my life. I was however, refreshed by the encounter and pressed on hoping to see more bucks. It would be two more days before I was to get another chance. It was an afternoon hunt and I had parked my quad on the edge of an area which forbade the use of motorized vehicles and proceeded to climb an uncomfortably steep hill that maliciously hid it's true nature and beckoned me to climb. About 30 yards into the climb the knee deep snow, extreme angle, and the elevation reminded me that I wasn't 22 anymore, but that didn't prevent me from continuing on. I made it to the top after 3.67 eternities and was rewarded with a view that made all the effort worthwhile. I enjoyed the scene for a few minutes, caught my breath, and surveyed the area for either elk or deer. Upon seeing nothing but old tracks and sparse droppings, I proceeded to the pine edge to work the draw up and across the top. I had walked about 100 yards when I saw a buck jump up from under a pine and bound down the hill and out of sight. I didn't know how big he was at the time, but I hustled over to the edge and tried to pick him up again. Moments later I caught movement to my right and recognized it as a deer. I fumbled for my binos when I heard a VERY LOUD VOICE in my head scream "USE THE SCOPE YOU DOLT!!!!" I found the deer in the scope and to my amazement it had horns. The buck had done a 180 and popped up a couple hundred yards to my right and stood at my same level as I when he stopped, stood broadside, and tried to figure out what had disturbed his rest. I figured the distance at 200 yards give or take, settled the cross hairs on his shoulder, and squeezed the trigger. The deer spun toward me at the shot and bounded down the hill. I was sure I had hit'em, but was surprised when he rushed through an opening in the pines about 60 yards downhill continuing his retreat. I took a deep breath, steadied myself, and checked the time. It was 3:59 pm. I had about 2 hours of daylight with which to track this buck, but I didn't want to rush it and possibly push this deer farther into the ravine making the recovery much more arduous. I waited 15 minutes, ranged the distance to where the buck stood at 187 yards, and proceeded to where the buck stood when I took the shot. I found ONE small drop of blood that had frozen by the time I arrived and I WAS NOT encouraged. I was shooting a 300 win mag with 168 gr bullets so I was expecting more evidence of a hit. Regardless, I had hit the deer and prepared myself for the worst. I was able to follow the tracks in the snow, but found only small pin sized drops of blood every 2 or 3 jumps. After 100 yards of this I was beginning to fear the worst. I was scanning the area in the hopes of catching the deer bedded when this is what I saw...

PB150517.jpg

I was ecstatic and thanked God for his blessings!!! Upon further examination, I had hit him high in the chest which prevented any blood loss, but the hit was exactly where I had aimed and had made a shambles of both his shoulders. I was amazed he even took one step after the shot. I thought to myself "Not bad for an offhand standing shot at 200 yards." He's not the biggest buck, but given the elevation, the habitat, the effort put in to get the shot, the shot, the track job, the emotional roller-coaster, and the pride of personal accomplishment, he's a true trophy to me. I snapped a few pics, admired him and the rugged place he lived and was overwhelmed by the whole event.

PB150510.jpg

PB150514.jpg

I then tagged the buck and proceeded to race the sunset and loss of daylight as I quartered him, deboned the quarters, and got the buck ready for transport. I put the back straps and tenderloins in my pack and went back to a spot where I could see my quad and where I was to meet Kickemup after the hunt. I could see his quad tail lights as he was sitting there waiting for me and flashed him with my flashlight from up the mountain. He got the message and hiked up to my location where I told him the good news. He congratulated me and we both returned to the kill site to finish the pack out. He was gracious enough to snap some pics of is own and we were able to finish packing him out in one trip.

23897804_1566435823377135_2038690308_n.jpg

23897764_1566435806710470_745757391_n.jpg

We returned to the cabin, tired and worn out, but happy and heavier than when we left. I unfortunately didn't get my elk, but in retrospect, I don't really care. I'm perfectly happy with how my hunting trip turned out and feel privileged and blessed to have even been able to go. It was a Magnificent Hunt!!!!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
KDM, that's what hunting is all about. Sounds like you had a wonderful hunt with a good friend that will be remembered forever. I am envious and wish could do that kind of hunt again.

As for the size, that looks like a beautiful buck that will be remembered forever. How much better could it get than that? In my opinion he needs to be on the wall in a place of honor.

Great story and photos too!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to go!!!!
And your telling me I don't need expensive technical pants to go to the mountains to kill an animal I can just wear my wrangler jeans?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's see......Kentucky Windage.......Yep........KINGSFORD for him!!!!

ItemB, I don't like telling folks that jeans and long johns work. I'd rather show folks that jeans and long johns work just fine. (Grin)

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats KDM.
Brings back lots of memories or elk hunting in Montana. Did it many times and some years i got skunked and some years we were vastly rewarded! Every year was a success to me as i really enjoyed the mountains and got to live out there for few years too. Started hunting out there when i was 16 and moved out there in 95 if my memory is correct. Had lots of fun and met many good friends from all over this Country. Many laughs and some sorrow as some friends i had from out there have long passed away but i think of them often.
Do it while you are able as the time comes much to soon when you can't as the body won't allow it anymore!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good for you KDM. You get back what you put into the hunt and the pictures in the mind last forever.

nybs

Honored Member
Great pics and story - thanks for sharing. I love the mountains and can’t wait to get back out there.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't like telling folks that jeans and long johns work. I'd rather show folks that jeans and long johns work just fine. (Grin)

Try telling that to SDMF. He’ll surely ask if you put bread bags in your boots to keep your toes dry.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I appreciate you using your words, KDM. All pictures posted should require a short story. I can see all the pictures I want in an encyclopedia (that's an old book for those that don't know), it's the stories that go along with the pictures that make them interesting.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
You sir, never seem to disappoint. Great story and awesome pictures

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113