Oppenheimer (2023)

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's grandfather served in the south pacific during WWII. My daughters high school history class was tasked with debating the decision to drop the bomb. They were to interview WWII vets to get their opinions. At that time there were many still here in our small town. She interviewed her Great Grandfather. When she asked him what he thought of using the bomb on the Japanese, his response, without a moments hesitation, "They should have done it sooner." When asked what he thought when he first heard the news, " We're going home. "

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is divine intervention. This is a prime example. This country ain't fucking perfect. But, it leaps and bounds better than the alternative of Japan, Germany or Russia beating us to the A bomb. That's all I got to say bout that.
I couldn't imagine...

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Eisenhower had very little to do with planning the invasion of Japan, if anything at all.

BigWalleyeCatcher

Do not question the 2nd bomb just because there were a mere 3 days between them. The Japs were not convinced we could replicate the damage in Hiro. Oddly enough, they were right if we are talking about the 3rd or 4th bomb. We had a pretty limited supply of Atomic bombs and there really was no realistic chance of a third bomb on short notice.
The United States had only created two atomic bombs. It is important to realize that the first bomb was not the same as the second, they were biotic differently from each other. Although the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was less effective it still was the second largest bomb ever dropped by a wide, wide, and I mean wide margin.

BigWalleyeCatcher

Hard to imagine our world if Germany or Japan would have figured it out first.
There really isn’t much evidence that Japan understood the science to even construct a bomb. Germany on the other hand very well could have created the worlds first atomic bomb had Hitler properly funded and staffed the project. He was far to obsessed with the power of machinery and large groups of ground forces than a bomb that many thought might not even be possible to create.

BigWalleyeCatcher

You had to think that someone had to have known about two Russian spies where part of the Manhattan project, was it deliberate or did two lone wolves fall through the cracks? You would have thought the government would haved went through an extensive vetting process to make sure no one was a double agent. Or did the united states know and realized that keeping the Russians from killing themselves with inferior technology would have been a bigger catastrophic mess. After ww2 we needed a big bad wolf like the ussr to help keep fear in the minds of the population of the states, even though there was never really any such threats. Heck we US knew the Russians were helping the north Koreans by flying Russian mig-15 jets which could have dominated American air force at the time when we were still using piston powered engines. We were losing moral in the Korean peninsula and withdrew our troops to save face, we never had a chance to win without declaring actual war against North Korea when they knew Russian soldiers were firing against American GIs and fighting another proxy war where we gained no distinctive advantage just like Vietnam conflict.
Two separate points I would like to touch on. Getting processed of the 1940’s were far lackluster to the Cold War. In total over 130,000 people worked on the construction, science, and process of building the A-bomb. It is estimated that less than 25 total knew what was attempted to being built. So out of 130,000 people only two Russian spies got through, yes that is very believable.

In terms of Korea the United States could have been in and out of Korea in less than a month had the wanted to. Restriction regarding the United Nations charter and a congress allocating funds shot that notion down. Just as I mentioned earlier had the United States declared war, WWIII would be currently written into history books.

BigWalleyeCatcher

Eisenhower had very little to do with planning the invasion of Japan, if anything at all.
No other way to put this than you are simply misinformed on the history of it. Following Germanys surrender DDE joined forces with DM. DM remained the principle general but both men were responsible for planning Operation Downfall.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The United States had only created two atomic bombs. It is important to realize that the first bomb was not the same as the second, they were biotic differently from each other. Although the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was less effective it still was the second largest bomb ever dropped by a wide, wide, and I mean wide margin.

They had the material at a minimum to build more, but to this day there's very little information out there on when a third bomb would have been ready. Some suggested about a month before another could be ready, at least a couple of others hinted that there was a third bomb already built, but it certainly hadn't been shipped to Tinian.

I used to be quite familiar with both of these bombings, been a few years ago at this point.

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
No other way to put this than you are simply misinformed on the history of it. Following Germanys surrender DDE joined forces with DM. DM remained the principle general but both men were responsible for planning Operation Downfall.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha....
It's impolite to express mirth about being misinformed as if amused by a 1970's British Comedy Troupe's movie about a quest led by King Arthur and his "blessed" sword gifted by a farcical watery tart. Moistened bints, strange women lying about in ponds or similar hussies do not give you license to mock SCIENCE or HISTORY excreta from the anals of higher learning. WTF Over?!!!

Last edited:

DakotaGreg

Established Member
FB_IMG_1665964383301.jpg

Eatsleeptrap

★★ Legendary Member
Prove me misinformed. One piece of information proving Eisenhower was in on the planning for the invasion of Japan and one piece to verify the first. I'll wait.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also Juanner; you should watch the Rush vid. Even as Geddy has an acquired tone; Neil's drums and genius lyricism should be appreciated like some sort of fag's paintings:

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody else go to the movie? Kind of let down. I had pretty high expectations..not really knowing what to expect but found myself leaving the theater thinking...that's it?

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Manhattan Project was a turning point in warfare and its justification is a complex issue balancing the desire for a swift end to the war against the enormous human cost.
Agreed..the problem is for future warfare..there will never be another quick end to another world war and more than likely more people will die then would have if the alied forces had to fight the Japanese inch by inch during world War 2.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a different subject I don't believe atomic bombs will be used in retaliation unless provoked. The dropping of the A bombs on Japan showed the entire world what life would be like in the aftermath of an attacks. And let's not forget that Russia has its own personal experience in the fall out of radiation when reactor 4 in chernobyl was destroyed in a botched attempt in a safety test. The rest of the world can really only speculate as to what happen to many of the people that lived in the area but we know what it's done to the land that some would consider the bread basket of the east.
No I believe the next wars will be fought with bio warfare, when Russia invaded Ukraine that was one of the first things that was discovered was how many bio labs that were built and run by the help of the united states and our allies. That's not a myth that is 100 percent a fact, many theorize that bio weapons will be able to be used on a specific ethnic group while other ethnic groups won't be effected either by using an antidote or on a genetic level that makes them immune.
If an atomic bombs is used it won't be by super powers like Russia or the United states but by smaller countries used in a local conflict but my guess is still bio weapons which would cause less damage to the overall environment which would benefit the victor's. JMTC

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84