Our Ice Fishing Blunders

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last winter I had the wife and kids all out on a perch bite. It was outta control and when the bucket was filling up I thought itd be a good idea to get a count. My 4 yr old who was super excited tipped the bucket over in the HUB and conveniently right next to 2 holes where we lost about a third of the bucket. Few beers later I laughed it off

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
dropped keys down the hole once when I was out with my snowmobile and gear on a sled, miles away from my truck, alone. Took a few hours to snag them with a daredevil off the bottom of the lake...

Also cell phones sink fast...

Did the same thing with keys once.....when a buddy decided to look down the hole he lost his Oakley's that were perched on his forehead. We fished the keys out. Oakley's, not so much.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 5 years ago I was fishing tobacco gardens in a clam lunch box type portable with the plastic floor no snow on the ice wind was blowing pretty hard got set up caught a few and a big gust came up all of a sudden my ice hole disappeared broke my line and slid about 200 ft before I got it stopped digging my ice scoop into the ice like a brake threw the ice hole opening i didn't think I was going to to get it stopped those things slide really good on glare ice lol

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishing Cherry Lake North of Steel for northerns many many years ago. Buddy had his old old auger punching holes as I followed him clearing and rigging as he went. Heard a commotion, looked up and saw Jim holding half an auger. Turns out just as he was breaking through the last hole the auger broke from the motor and down it went. Now I don't know how deep others were "jigging" for their keys but we were in less than 8 feet of water so all came out well in the end. Light rope and a big hook got the auger bit out after we chipped the hole a bit bigger to ensure it would happen. Deeper water and this may not have happened. be safe out there fellas.

Last edited:

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical tard, when a group of us were a few drinks in, i dropped my cellphone down the hole while taking a selfie of myself downing a Colt45. The guys thought it was pretty funny. Wife did not.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 5 years ago I was fishing tobacco gardens in a clam lunch box type portable with the plastic floor no snow on the ice wind was blowing pretty hard got set up caught a few and a big gust came up all of a sudden my ice hole disappeared broke my line and slid about 200 ft before I got it stopped digging my ice scoop into the ice like a brake threw the ice hole opening i didn't think I was going to to get it stopped those things slide really good on glare ice lol

Did you have to change shorts after this?

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago, my son and I took a trip to Upper Red Lake for walleyes. It was about a 3 1/2 hour trip one way. We hit the lake and I got the Jiffy out and drilled my first hole...I then proceeded to drill hole number two and just when I broke through the ice, FLUMP....off with the auger flight down the hole! I had a quick release bracket that did it’s thing at the worst time....needless to say, I never used another one of those! Pretty much wrecked our trip. In fact, if anyone would like to buy one for $10, I have the replacement that the company sent me for my troubles...never been used.... :)

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was 17 or 18 and took my dads 74' F250 Highboy ice fishing out on Brush Lake with a few buddies. Booze was involved. Somehow about 50 feet from shore the pickup went through the ice. Luckily we were only in a few feet of water. All 4 tires were on the ground. At the time dad had 34x9.50 TSL super swampers on the pickup. For the next 3-4 hours we hammered that pickup, back and forth, back and forth, through the ice towards shore. The grill guard and bumper handled the ice surprisingly well with some scratches and what not, but no major damage occurred on the body.

The legacy of dads 74' highboy still holds true today in the Hazen/Beulah area. This incident happened on a Friday evening, told dad about it Saturday, not sure if I got my ass kicked or not, but probably. On Sunday morning he woke me up early and said we were going for a ride. Had no idea where we were going. Drove south of Elgin ND and pulled into an old farm. There sat a 70 F250 highboy, just beat to piss. He said, there's your new pickup, you're done beating the shit out of my stuff. Dad paid somewhere around $600 for that pickup, and I drove it home. Had to add 2 quarts of oil by the time we got to Glen Ulin. And another 2 quarts when we got to Beulah. A road trip ill never forget. Dad restored that pickup that next summer for me and I had 15 years of awesome times in my own highboy. Both dad and I recently sold both highboys since we bought a couple airplanes, and the pickups just weren't getting used like they should of been. Dads highboy went out east towards Jamestown, to a younger 15-16 year old kid. I hope that kid can have as good of memories in that pickup like I did.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical tard, when a group of us were a few drinks in, i dropped my cellphone down the hole while taking a selfie of myself downing a Colt45. The guys thought it was pretty funny. Wife did not.

When I dropped my phone down the hole, we were only in about 6 feet of water and it was fairly clear, got a good chuckle out of calling it and watching it light up for about an hour after it went down the hole. I was seriously tempted to drill a large hole and jump in and grab it, but my wife talked me out of it...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I dropped my phone down the hole, we were only in about 6 feet of water and it was fairly clear, got a good chuckle out of calling it and watching it light up for about an hour after it went down the hole. I was seriously tempted to drill a large hole and jump in and grab it, but my wife saved my life...

fixed it

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I've lost through the hole while spending time on the ice:

1) AM/FM Radio
2) Multiple scoopers
3) Rod holders
4) Rod/reel (able to bring up with a large magnet tied to string)
5) Candybars

I hated drilling holes with a 10" auger... my foot went in a number of times!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago, my son and I took a trip to Upper Red Lake for walleyes. It was about a 3 1/2 hour trip one way. We hit the lake and I got the Jiffy out and drilled my first hole...I then proceeded to drill hole number two and just when I broke through the ice, FLUMP....off with the auger flight down the hole! I had a quick release bracket that did it’s thing at the worst time....needless to say, I never used another one of those! Pretty much wrecked our trip. In fact, if anyone would like to buy one for $10, I have the replacement that the company sent me for my troubles...never been used.... :)

A friend did the same thing on Stump Lake last year. I guess the look on his face when his flighting disappeared into 40ft of water was one for the books.

- - - Updated - - -

I took my 7 year old out back when he was 3. He dropped his Tiger Claw figurine down the hole. It was a traumatic event he still speaks of to this day. He is still leery about ice fishing.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Well, my cell phone went down a hole on Saturday night. :( At least it is a company phone and I already got a new one this morning. Anyone else lose anything down a hole this season so far?

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost my iPhone X down the hole Saturday night as well. Jigged for it for a few hours with no luck. A camera would have been nice. Of course my Applecare plan does not cover a lost device, so that was a nice $1000 mistake.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've fallen in myself, put a vehicle through, had to burn an ice house down that was stuck in the ice... will ponder this a few minutes. sure there are some others.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've lost 2 rods through the ice one never came back and the other my buddy snagged by accident about 4 days later fishing the same area. Dropped a brand new slender spoon and watched it wave goodbye ever so gracefully for about 10-12ft before it vanished, always wondered it a crappie grabbed it on the fall after out of my site:confused:

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe that was Rice Lake & I was with you? Or else you dropped your keys in the hole more than once.
dropped keys down the hole once when I was out with my snowmobile and gear on a sled, miles away from my truck, alone. Took a few hours to snag them with a daredevil off the bottom of the lake...

Also cell phones sink fast...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 172
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57