Outdoor Playsets

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Looking for some experience from others who have built or bought pre designed/assembled play gyms for their kids. I plan to build one this spring.

I cant decide if i should design my own, buy a kit or purchase the premade kits from like costco or sams? Anyone have any experience with any of these? Is it a get what you pay for kind of situation? Would like something that's pretty much maintenance free (no staining) and gonna withstand the north dakota wind and elements. looking to hear what you guys have done, would do again or dont do at all?

Kinda looking for something like this.

costco prebuilt kit

costco.jpg

or
something like this menards one

menards.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did that exact menards one when my wife had a daycare. It held up pretty good took one long afternoon to do it. They are not the quality of rainbow play systems but also dont carry that kind of price tag

Forgot to add i anchored it to the ground with steel plates i made and screwed to the bottom of the legs and then drove u shaped pieces of rebar in the ground it never moved

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I did that exact menards one when my wife had a daycare. It held up pretty good took one long afternoon to do it. They are not the quality of rainbow play systems but also dont carry that kind of price tag

Forgot to add i anchored it to the ground with steel plates i made and screwed to the bottom of the legs and then drove u shaped pieces of rebar in the ground it never moved
thanks for the info. yes some of these playsets are crazy prices im looking to keep it around $1500 total in hopes to get like 5 years out of it.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We pickup a used rainbow play set. Was told it was 10-11 years old. Throw a coat of stain on and it looks like brand new. The quality seems to be exceptional compared to others and buying used we got into it for about the same as Menards ones

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure where you are located but Iv'e saw quite a few for give away in Fargo on marcketplace . My boy got a nice one for free that he only had to move about 200 feet . Now they moved to the country so they are climbing trees but Grandma and I bought them a backyard ninja set something like this and they love it. Next is a zip line.
1713454958603.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHE, these playsets are rarely used as often as the parents who paid for them were expecting.

Not saying your kids won't, but I know of several that simply sat unused for the most part.

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
Sams club one. Used a lot. Light duty , not for adults. Anchored into the ground with lags and post cement is a must imo. Will stain for the 2nd time this summer

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought one from Sams 4 years ago, have stained it once but it desperately needs it again. I tighten some of the lag bolts up in the spring but its holding up well. 2 ft corkscrew anchors in the corners has held it in place. Kids seem to like it.

Assembly was a B$%^&, and took me a good 3-4 days of solid solo work to complete. It did have a pretty good app with step by step instructions. Not kidding when I say I had a all 1000 or so parts, boards, screws, brackets laid out in an organized fashion prior to starting assembly, it took up my two stall garage and a couple hours just for that. Felt like I was capable of building a shop by the time I was done. A little more than I expected. Make sure you have a drill with a couple good batteries before you start.

Considering it was a once in a lifetime purchase for cheap entertainment for my young kids, i would do it again.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHE, these playsets are rarely used as often as the parents who paid for them were expecting.

Not saying your kids won't, but I know of several that simply sat unused for the most part.
It takes a competitive atmosphere IMO, I think almost all kids would get tired of playing alone on one but if there is a brother , sister or neighbor kid to compare skills with and push each others to go faster and further then it's game on.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built one from Menards many years ago. As I recall, the hardware comes in the kit along with wood size specs and then it was up to me to decide on actual wood. Then I had to cut, drill and assemble. It went really well and I am no expert altho I had a buddy helping that was pretty handy. Mine had a sandbox in the bottom and the monkey bar posts were dug in so that kept it from blowing over. We used brown treated wood and I don't recall ever restaining it but maybe we did once. Kids used it alot and once they grew out of it, I sold it for cheap so I agree that looking for a used one might be a good idea if money is a big driver. I enjoyed building it and I think the kids appreciated that dad built that for them.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a Menards kit with lumber included. Fine for 3 to 7 year olds but any bigger and its a little sketchy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lucked out and was given one from my brother's neighbor. split it in half and reassembled in my backyard. the kids have used it a ton. If only I could stop my dogs from tearing up my backyard so it isnt just dirt/mud all the time.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was at Costco late last summer and just happened to walk past one of their playsets and it was marked down to $250 bucks from $600. It's nothing special by no means, but it'll work for what we were looking for and may add onto it in the future. Still in the box currently, just don't have the time to right now. May end up having to hire it out.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We got a kit at Toys 'R Us years ago. That one was garbage. Leaned quite a bit in one direction before we tore it down.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
thanks everyone for the replies.

i never thought about looking to see if anyone is getting rid of one. that would be an option as well. have the equipment to get one moved and repositioned. Pretty decent carpenter so building one isnt going to be a problem. Just trying to find my best bang for the dollar while keeping it under $1500.

the costco one looks pretty sweet, but im thinking the menards one would prolly be better quality.

The more i think about it, all the neighbors have kids with play gyms, should just give them some money and ask if the kids can come over and play whenever they want? then i dont have to mow around it or build one. lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2