Panfish Ice Rod

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a softer tip, spring bobber style ice rod for crappie, finicky perch etc. to add to my arsenal. It would be used mostly with 1/16 - 1/32 oz tungsten jigs. I currently have a TUCR precision, several Scheels rods, and few of the old school Dave Gentz lightning rods, but none have a soft enough tip for days when they are biting really light. I tried a nice titanium spring bobber last year but wasn't a fan. What are your favorite rods for smaller tungsten jigs?

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the 13 Fishing 27" UL Ticklestick paired with a No 8 Cold Gear inline reel. Works great for detecting the upbite on Crappies. Some people say it doesn't have enough backbone but I don't find that to be a problem I hooked in to a 22" walleye last year and had no problem bringing it up. Only thing I don't like about it is sometimes the guides freeze up if you are fishing outside, other than that I think it is a super sensitive rod that works great and isn't too expensive.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always been partial to the St. Croix Legend Ice in medium light. Best spring bobber setup I've found for gills, crappie, and perch

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Although it seems one can never have enuff stuff, you should try "drop shotting" for those finicky perch, pan fish. Using this technique will allow you to feel the bite better no matter what ice rod you use. Well..maybe not what ever ice rod.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I know, believe me i'm tempted. I'm not a die-hard pan fisherman, so still not sure i want to drop that much $$.

this is my buddies favorite rod. he uses it for walleyes too. Appears to have plenty of backbone for mid sized eyes as well.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48