Permanent fish house versus boat

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fastest permanent fish house I've ever been in was a friends old 76 chevy pickup. He had removable floorboards with home made wind blockers that fit right in the slots. Drilled the holes, drove over them, and fished. If we got skunked, off we went. What a BEAST that truck was. I think he got about 3 gallons to the mile with that thing. He even had propane heaters set up in the back so you could shut the truck off. Good Gravy did we catch fish outta that thing.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess after reading MM post I would have to agree with him. Plus mrs johnr will go in the boat, she will not sit on the frozen lake, ever since that wedding ring was placed on her finger. Somehow liked it just fine prior...haha.

Bwah hah hah, I once had one of those. It costs about $460,035 to get her interest back in icefishing, just in case you were wondering. LOL

And to answer the original question...boat, no ifs ands or buts.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat gives you a huge advantage well fishing whereas permanent ice houses tend to be a disadvantage for successful ice fishing. most people get tired of the work and end up not wanting to pick up and move at the speed at which one needs to to stay on the bite. the permanents are nice in bad weather but if you get too much bad weather you'll never get the damn thing on the lake anyways. so with that I definitely have to go with the boat.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, you guys are making me second guess my decision!!! Lol. Maybe I'll have to pick up a cheaper boat next spring. Most permanents are pretty quick to move so i don't mind having to move. I'm guessing since I bought a permanent we'll get tons of snow but I always have my portable as a back-up. Plus me and some buddies always go to Lake of the Woods for 5 days so the permanent will definitely still get used plus I'm thinking about taking my daughters up there for a long weekend trip too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88