Polaris XD 1500 crew cab.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I the only one who finds these things a little ridiculous. $50,000 for a toy. Just out of curiosity, I compared the specs on this with a Toyota Tacoma. Arguably one of the best selling most popular, and most reliable mid sized pickup. The wheel base and width are almost identical. The Polaris weighs 3300 and the Toyota 4400. So a lightweight SxS argument really isn’t there. Polaris isn’t exactly known for long term durability. Toyota is. And to top it off, I could buy a brand new Tacoma for a little over $40,000 depending on trim levels. Now if the Polaris would last for 100,000 miles I probably wouldn’t worry about it. But let’s face it, it won’t come remotely close to that.

I get it, some people enjoy these things and have money to burn. That’s fine and I don’t begrudge them to do so. I just don’t want to support a company that produces an overpriced toy that doesn’t last and I will be sticking thousand of dollars into with not much use. I’m sure I might get flamed for this opinion cause these things are very popular. That’s fine. Just wanted to get some opinions and discussion why these are a good option.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
The whole sxs thing doesn't make any sense to me. pretty much look like a old geo tracker which is under 3000 lbs and can be had for a couple grand.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a couple SxS’s and several four wheelers. They are and unfortunate necessity when you have cattle. They didn’t cost $50,000 if you add them all together. With what these new ones weigh and how big they are, the advantage of having one is completely lost.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want a 2 seater with a cab and heat. My wife will drive that around town more than her tahoe and i would use it almost every day for dog training. Still a few years out till i buy one. If i really had money to burn a turbo razor for playing would be great but not much use for them other than going fast and jumping shit.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the shit outa mine, but I have $8,500 into it, and put maybe another $1,000 into making it street legal. It has a cab and heat, but is 10 years old, and a single cab.

Someday I want to upgrade to a newer model, but would still be a single cab, just gooder and fancier. Maybe in that $18-20,000 range.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like alot of toys I feel like they are pricing themselves out of the market..greed or cost of building..I would be curious...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You would have to put alot of money in it to go where the sxs does
I would guess a lift kit of some sort and tracks...I would say the only additional coat would be the lift kit as you would also buy tracks for the sxs.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
SxS, boat, vehicles, they are all pricing themselves out of the market slowly. It's no longer worth it to buy a new boat. The prices are just stupid. Trucks, fuck those guys too. Ile drive my paid off rigs and watch all the dealers go broke 1 by 1.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would guess a lift kit of some sort and tracks...I would say the only additional coat would be the lift kit as you would also buy tracks for the sxs.
I wasnt even thinking of tracks. After being on the forest service trails out west the sxs really shines over stock pick ups

MULEDEER

Established Member
I own a 19 ranger 1000 bought the base unit and added the cab and heat I like it but I am not paying what new one costs. You can buy a nice pickup for the price of a new ranger. Also I don't believe you can add a cab anymore you have to buy the Northstar to get a cab now

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easily buy a good used truck for what one cost and no one can tell me they are a necessity. We run cattle and bison and haven't found a need due one that a simple 4wheeler or farm truck can't take care of

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cost of SxS's is nuts and overpriced. A small pickup or 4x4 suv would be a more durable option and more valueable to as a SxS is basically worthless once you have 30k miles on it like mine, where as a small pickup or suv with 30k miles is hardly broke in.

That being said the SxS is way better on a ranch with cattle, saves alot of time checking pastures when you have all your fencing stuff with, hauling mineral and blocks, plus have the dart rifle and medicine with if you need to treat anything. Really handy fixing fence and not having to pull a loud rattling trailer behind like with an atv.

I'll be buying a new SxS in the next year or so, but it won't be that overpriced 1500 from Polaris, my next one will be a Can am and I just need a cab with a tip out windshield and a heater. I don't need anything fancier than that. Probably still cost me 30k just for that. lol

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not for anything you described or what 99% of people use rangers for. This is also 20k cheaper.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not for anything you described or what 99% of people use rangers for. This is also 20k cheaper.
That specific one but the single seater are considerably cheaper . Plus it’s way easier putting a winger rack on sxs and being able to keep it set up for dog training way easier getting around in fields where I train than a pick up. I have been doing the pick up thing and half the time I am carrying everything as you can only go so far .

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i had a use for a ranger i would have one, but pretty much every big purchase i make i pretty much allways say to the wife yea but i dont have a ranger, i bought a house in nw nd using that.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

"All vehicles wider than 50 inches are limited to roads open to motorized travel and subject to licensing requirements".

Oh Boy i am so glad i popped 30k out for a toy that i cant get down a logging trail

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"All vehicles wider than 50 inches are limited to roads open to motorized travel and subject to licensing requirements".

Oh Boy i am so glad i popped 30k out for a toy that i cant get down a logging trail
Where we Elk hunted in Colorado the trails were 50 inches. I watched SxS going around the barriers that were just over 50 inches wide. I seen one Warden writing tickets when they were coming out. The most of the trails the SxS couldn't go up them because of the trails in the trees. It's been a number of years since I have been back there and I'm sure lots more SxS than ATV now days.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Am I the only one who finds these things a little ridiculous. $50,000 for a toy. Just out of curiosity, I compared the specs on this with a Toyota Tacoma. Arguably one of the best selling most popular, and most reliable mid sized pickup. The wheel base and width are almost identical. The Polaris weighs 3300 and the Toyota 4400. So a lightweight SxS argument really isn’t there. Polaris isn’t exactly known for long term durability. Toyota is. And to top it off, I could buy a brand new Tacoma for a little over $40,000 depending on trim levels. Now if the Polaris would last for 100,000 miles I probably wouldn’t worry about it. But let’s face it, it won’t come remotely close to that.

I get it, some people enjoy these things and have money to burn. That’s fine and I don’t begrudge them to do so. I just don’t want to support a company that produces an overpriced toy that doesn’t last and I will be sticking thousand of dollars into with not much use. I’m sure I might get flamed for this opinion cause these things are very popular. That’s fine. Just wanted to get some opinions and discussion why these are a good option.
Gotta agree about these sxs rigs,

Neighbor has a rig called "the pup",small sxs,4x4 rig with dump box has me looking also a mini 4x4 2 seater,full cab with heat/ac built by isuzu,both rigs under $12k,not pretty but good utility rigs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88