Portable shelters

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious what you guys are using. I want to buy something more portable so I can fish off my 4 wheeler this year (I hate driving my pickup on the ice). I've been looking at flip overs and pop ups and really have no idea what is good nowadays. I would like something pretty good size so my 11yo son is comfortable and also pretty sturdy since I will be pulling it or carrying it behind the wheeler. Weight really isn't an issue.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have an otter cabin. Best sleds on the market, still can pull by hand early ice. The lodge has more room but gets heavy to pull. If you only have 1 kid I think flip over is better, once you get three people, I think hub is the way to go. Whatever you buy, get insulated.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you going to haul the house around in the pickup box or on a trailer? If the pickup box, what length is it? Do you want to be able to close the tailgate? Do you want it to fit under a roll cover or topper? I would consider these questions first so you choose something that you can haul around easily. A flip house is easy to set up and you have mobile storage for gear. A pop-up will give you more fishable area in a relatively small package. Setting up in the wind can be tricky and you will need a sled in addition to the pop-up to haul your gear around assuming you and kiddie are both riding on the wheeler. I would consider type and size requirements first, brands that fit the bill second.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with Kentucky...do some research, read reviews, figure out which will work best for what you need. A couple weeks ago I picked up a Shappell FX150...nice size sled to hold all my gear, plenty of room for 1 person inside...fits in my 5.5 ft pick up box.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I fished out of a insulated portable last weekend and I'm never going back to uninsulated. Trust Guywhoknowswhatthebestfishhousesare!!!

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a frabil predator. Full thermal, tons of space, huge sled for hauling stuff, side doors are awesome. If you plan to do a ton of pulling it around the lake I'm not sure how it will hold up. The sleds are not nearly as sturdy as otter or clam. Something similar but a little more mobile might be the frabil citadel. Has a bench seat with integrated rod storage. I also have a clam nanook, non thermal. Very light, mobile, sets up in a heartbeat, but it is small and not nearly as warm as the insulated ones. Depending on what you have for a trailer you could also look into a small (5x8) aluminum skid house. Obviously cost is a little higher (Thinking $2000-3000?) but would be even quicker to move spots if you like to be mobile.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any new opinions on the best flip overs after this year with all the snow? I am in the market and have decided a flip over is better for me rather than the hub style. I am thinking of getting one of the otters unless someone tells me why I shouldn't. Also for those of you that have them or fished out of them which do you prefer between the lodge and the cabin. Or is it worth it to go to the Pro Lodge or Pro Cabin? Can you fish two adults out of a Cabin comfortably? I have fished out of a Lodge a lot but they are so big and heavy and won't fit in my back end.

Thanks!

Perchslayer

Established Member
Otter xt2000 cabin is what I have I like it fine just I use a tracked wheeler or a sled and it pulled terrible without the runners on the bottom it pulls great now, DO NOT get a pop up they suck! I also have a clam 4 person flip over and don't even have runners on that it also has a hitch adapter on it

- - - Updated - - -

The x4 is two big for one person

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter sleds are in a class of their own. You could put a CanvasCraft lid on an Otter sled. Been very very happy w mine for last 5 years or so - maybe 7?

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sled is why I decided on the otter as of now. Do most of you prefer the Cabin because it fits in the 5.5' box and weight to handle solo or do you prefer the Lodge for the room. How about the difference in thermal from the regular to the Pro styles. Thanks again

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Jason Mitchell Thermal X and absolutely love it. I've fished out of the otter and liked it as well.

Perchslayer

Established Member
The sled is why I decided on the otter as of now. Do most of you prefer the Cabin because it fits in the 5.5' box and weight to handle solo or do you prefer the Lodge for the room. How about the difference in thermal from the regular to the Pro styles. Thanks again
I have a seven foot box so that doesn't matter to me but I got the otter because they are so warm, I also have a trailer at all times what I do is pull the house on to the trailer and pull it up in the box

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Are you going to haul the house around in the pickup box or on a trailer? If the pickup box, what length is it? Do you want to be able to close the tailgate? Do you want it to fit under a roll cover or topper? I would consider these questions first so you choose something that you can haul around easily. A flip house is easy to set up and you have mobile storage for gear. A pop-up will give you more fishable area in a relatively small package. Setting up in the wind can be tricky and you will need a sled in addition to the pop-up to haul your gear around assuming you and kiddie are both riding on the wheeler. I would consider type and size requirements first, brands that fit the bill second.

What he said.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any new opinions on the best flip overs after this year with all the snow? I am in the market and have decided a flip over is better for me rather than the hub style. I am thinking of getting one of the otters unless someone tells me why I shouldn't. Also for those of you that have them or fished out of them which do you prefer between the lodge and the cabin. Or is it worth it to go to the Pro Lodge or Pro Cabin? Can you fish two adults out of a Cabin comfortably? I have fished out of a Lodge a lot but they are so big and heavy and won't fit in my back end.

Thanks!
I went with the otter pro xt cottage. I wanted a one person but not as small as the other one person flip overs. I already have a clam Nannok thermal. I like it but my middle son keeps taking it to go fishing with his girlfriend. Don't have the otter yet but from all reports people really like them.

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have the otter cabin xt with the bench? Can you fish 2 guys comfortably in there or do you have to go with the Lodge? I really like the Lodge but would like it to fit in back of pickup and be easier to handle by myself but those are not deal breakers.

Perchslayer

Established Member
Anybody have the otter cabin xt with the bench? Can you fish 2 guys comfortably in there or do you have to go with the Lodge? I really like the Lodge but would like it to fit in back of pickup and be easier to handle by myself but those are not deal breakers.
Yes I have on I have several otters get the 1200 denier fabric and it s real nice great for one people

pluggin

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you would recommend the Lodge if fishing with 2 people most the time?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31