Pronghorn Drawing held

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I assume your rant was aimed at me so just to let you know he has been ending up with a doe tag every year. At 17, hell at any age it's hard to have the same excitement going into a hunt with a doe tag in your pocket than it is with a buck tag.

Do you put in for a doe tag first choice ? If your answer is no why then why not? If it is as you say about the hunt then you should practice what you preach and " enjoy the hunt" and only hunt does.

Well, let me answer a few of these; and maybe I've misinterpreted, but you say your son has had a doe tag every year in this quote but your first post above say's he's never been drawing an Antelope Tag? 2nd choice tag maybe?

Moving on; yeah of course we most would like a buck tag and a chance at a trophy. I mean I've never seen a trophy doe hanging on the wall (lol) but patience is a virtue when the resources aren't unlimited. If you want a guaranteed buck tag, you can likely get that in another state that has a much larger antelope population. Just like deer, elk or anything else, if you want a better chance, then either go to a place that offers a better chance or increase your odds's with a doe/cow/antlerless tag. If that's not in the cards, patience is a virtue.

As far as if I put in for a buck or doe for first choice, I've done both over the years and yes, I've put in for antlerless multiple times because I wanted a better chance to be there for the hunt and put some meat in the freezer. Deer wise; My kids both have youth tags this year, one being the youth "any" tag and the other a youth doe tag; and since my focus was going to be on that, I put in for and received a white tail doe tag this year. I did have a buck tag last year that I applied for since 2014. I knew this year was going to be a slim chance of pulling one and wanted to hunt with my kids because it's more about the hunt and experience this year with it being their first years of deer hunting. If you want your crow soup, well I guess here it is.

With that said, when I apply for a buck and get denied, I don't go complaining about it, I just know next year my odds's will double and continually increase after that until I pull my desired tag.

I didn't get my first goat tag until I was 20, 5 years later my dad wanted to go and neither of us had any points so we both put in for a doe and were pulled for a tag. That trip was about getting out with my dad and hunting together, not about hunting trophy antelope. We had a great time and will be the last hunting memory/trip that I will have with my dad and had little to do with what tag we had. one more serving of crow soup if you like; I have some others but will digress. I began applying with a buddy for a antelope buck tag after that, 3 or 4 years of applying and being denied and G&F canceled pronghorn season altogether for a few years. Did I complain and through my sucker in the dirt? Nope, when they opened the season back up, we began reapplying and finally go pulled in 2017 with like 7 or 8 bonus points. I went 12 years between tags and never missed an open application. We had a good time even though my hunting partner had bum wheel which limited us a little bit. We decided we wanted to do it again, if it take use 5 or 8 years to pull a tag again, we were completely at piece with it but yet we knew we'd have some chance every year. Low an behold, we pulled buck tags this year.

I have no problem with people putting in for a buck tag every year. I do have problem when people complain about the system when there's other opportunity's out there and they act like their season is ruined if they don't get to hunt something with horns. I think ND's system is about as fair as it gets. Anybody that wants a chance, gets one, and if you miss out, your chances go up the next year and do so until you pull your desired tag (of course short of the big three). I went several years with zero "big game tags" and it didn't bother me in the slightest. I knew If I really wanted, in those days I could get a deer bow tag or put in for a doe but had just as much fun chasing rooster's and other stuff. I knew my day would come and it has for both deer and antelope.

I also think we have way bigger issues facing our next generation of hunters and having to go without a buck tag for a few years because we have a lottery system doesn't even register on the list.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's nice to hear from all sides, if we all thought rainbows and unicorns all the time what fun would that be anyway..

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I assume your rant was aimed at me so just to let you know he has been ending up with a doe tag every year. At 17, hell at any age it's hard to have the same excitement going into a hunt with a doe tag in your pocket than it is with a buck tag.

Do you put in for a doe tag first choice ? If your answer is no why then why not? If it is as you say about the hunt then you should practice what you preach and " enjoy the hunt" and only hunt does.
If you want him to get a buck tag every year put in for buck second choice in a unit out west . Heck there was buck tags leftover this year until the second draw just a few weeks ago

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeh in a few weeks you can probably go on and buy ten any antlerless tags for 3f2 and fill the freezer with muley doe’s and whitetail doe’s

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ended up drawing a buck tag again this year, different unit than last year thou.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter and I were both unsuccessful in 1d but we have a nice heard with 4 bucks in it on our land I might be persuaded to let someone take a poke at for a chunk of meat.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went in drawing with 11 points, drew a 13-A tag, ( its a last in a lifetime tag at my age ! )

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went in drawing with 11 points, drew a 13-A tag, ( its a last in a lifetime tag at my age ! )
I wouldn’t say that . Depending on age of course . This is my second tag since 14 when it reopened. If you love hunting antelope you can get a doe fawn tag every year I’m guessing .

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
650F8F5E-FC28-4FB0-982C-2ED0C4576B63.jpgI already shot mine for the year. Anybody know good taxidermist around Fargo?

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
20210926_110915.jpgI already shot mine for the year. Anybody know good taxidermist around Fargo?

Beuty of a goat. J&K south of Fargo on 81. Hands down the best in the area.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76