Propane Pickup

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an old 1976 GMC K25 converted to propane. I was just curious if anyone on here has ever tuned on one of these propane systems?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a 1976 cheyenne in high school. Thing was a tank, loved that exhaust smell... iam not much help never had any reason to tune it , always ran like a top!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hope it runs better than Jiffy's propane auger.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been around a few older 70's era propane pickups and all ran excellent, never had to tune one either. Thy burn clean, I know guys who ran 200k+ miles on old propane chevys and did 10K oil changes and the oil still looked and smelled new even at 10 k miles.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friends Grandpa had one of those back in the just learning to drive days. That old 400 on 'pane could really light up the tires.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friends Grandpa had one of those back in the just learning to drive days. That old 400 on 'pane could really light up the tires.

I bet it couldn't cut a hole in ice.

- - - Updated - - -

whats she doing? I deal with a few LP engines at work

- - - Updated - - -

Remind me never to get on your bad side.

Just don't use the word propane around me.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Propane conversion kits are cool. I have read that they are great for turbo boosted vehicles due to the 110 octane.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope come from central ND. As far as the issues go I am having trouble with it idling at a very low speed, and rough idle when cold. I have tried adjusting the idle speed screw on the linkage/carburetor and the idle speed never increased. Is there any way to adjust the fuel mixture i.e. rich/lean?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope come from central ND. As far as the issues go I am having trouble with it idling at a very low speed, and rough idle when cold. I have tried adjusting the idle speed screw on the linkage/carburetor and the idle speed never increased. Is there any way to adjust the fuel mixture i.e. rich/lean?

depends on what setup it has, most gas engines converted to propane dont run well when they are cold. they have too low of compression. ( MSA can tell about it but grab a beer and popcorn) the problem may not be your carb but your Mixer i believe they are called

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it seem to run the same on Gasoline as it does on propane, Or is it not an aftermarket kit that you can switch back and forth ? A neighbor had a conversion kit on a mid 70s chevy it still ran flawlessly with well over 200K miles on it. It had less power on propane and when it was cold outside he started it on gasoline then switched to propane. That's all I know.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's good news as the one I was talking about would be trouble.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 78 chevy with a 1972 396. I could switch mine over from propane to gas. I would switch it over at nite in the winter to gas as the regulator would freeze up when tryng to prime it for propane. I was running 28 cent a gallon propane in it compared to 1$ gas. I didn't get the milage put I could run along time on 114 gallon take filled to 85%. Roughly 100 gallons for $28.00. So it was cheap to run.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been around a few older 70's era propane pickups and all ran excellent, never had to tune one either. Thy burn clean, I know guys who ran 200k+ miles on old propane chevys and did 10K oil changes and the oil still looked and smelled new even at 10 k miles.

Guy who lived across the street from my parents had 2 of them. A late 70's 1/2T w/350 2bbl that was a bit weak and a mid-80's 3/4T w/350 4bbl that worked very well. Just like above. 10K oil changes on synthetic and over 200K and running just fine when the truck got totaled.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49