Propane heater

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone run a Mr. Heater fan forced ( or other brand ) unit for quick garage warm-up? Buddy of mine is looking for one. We had one yrs ago but did not work very well once 20# propane tank got down to half or so (lack of pressure ?)Maybe improved since then. I run Nipco for shop but pretty noisy. Thanks !

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a reznor in my shop (mr heater is the same) 45,000 btu. It’s a 20x40 and works perfectly. Had one in my garage which is 40x30 and it wasn’t quite big enough. Ended up putting a regular furnace in that. A 60,000 would have been enough though

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just cook some burgers on the grill. You should be toasty warm in a flash.

grill.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a reznor in my shop (mr heater is the same) 45,000 btu. It’s a 20x40 and works perfectly. Had one in my garage which is 40x30 and it wasn’t quite big enough. Ended up putting a regular furnace in that. A 60,000 would have been enough though
Any issues when the propane tank runs down to about 1/4 or so? Our old unit didn't want to burn clean then. Was a Pro Air or something like that.

grantfurness

My neighbor & my cousins both use the Mr Heater Maxx with natural gas and love it. I don’t think they’re really meant to work off small tanks like a 20#er

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor & my cousins both use the Mr Heater Maxx with natural gas and love it. I don’t think they’re really meant to work off small tanks like a 20#er
He's just looking for a portable type to toss in the garage to take out the chill, not an actual garage heater. Does not want Nipco.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just installed one of these in my garage. You can also get them so they run off propane. I have it on the lowest setting and it's been keeping the garage 70 degrees. I believe my garage is just under 700 sq ft.
1701208037665.png

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just installed one of these in my garage. You can also get them so they run off propane. I have it on the lowest setting and it's been keeping the garage 70 degrees. I believe my garage is just under 700 sq ft.
1701208037665.png
Vent free propane is asking for trouble moisture wise.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vent free propane is asking for trouble moisture wise.
I've now looked into this, and you're correct. I am hoping with the dog door, and the other doors being a little drafty it will eliminate some of that issue. In addition, with two garage doors opening and closing a few times throughout the day it might help. I guess I will keep a close eye on this and if I start to notice anything, it will be easy to run some more gas line and put a vented heater in. In the end it was a knee jerk reaction when the electric heater started running non-stop because it wasn't blowing as hot as usual and all could think about was the bill being over $300 once it starts getting really cold.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've now looked into this, and you're correct. I am hoping with the dog door, and the other doors being a little drafty it will eliminate some of that issue. In addition, with two garage doors opening and closing a few times throughout the day it might help. I guess I will keep a close eye on this and if I start to notice anything, it will be easy to run some more gas line and put a vented heater in. In the end it was a knee jerk reaction when the electric heater started running non-stop because it wasn't blowing as hot as usual and all could think about was the bill being over $300 once it starts getting really cold.
You won’t have an issue in a garage. Home quite possibly but not a garage

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can run a fan too, just to push a little air around.
A ceiling fan on low all winter will keep the air moving, and whatnot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84