Puppies

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How it has change since i was a kid on the farm.
Dog die and dad call around until he found a male for give away. Prefer collie or German Shepard. During my time one collie and 2 Shepards. Chased the cows and horses.
Took him on my walks with my 22.

Taught him to sit, shake hands, roll over and siz him. No shots. Good memories as a kid. But had two dogs in my adult life just mutts. No more as no longer wanted to see and watch the death. One cat made it 10 ten years and then just die so no more cats. On farm a zillion cats and name them all. A lot of life lessons as a young person about life and death. db

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have seen some really good lab crosses one was a springer lab cross, and one was a lab gsp cross. would i risk a year of training then another 6 to 10 on a unproven cross? I wouldnt

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well with genetic testing becoming more popular to breeders, this helps weed out the breeders who do not. If you think that mutts are an inferior breed their are countless studies done on cross breeding out genetic traits in certain dogs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well with genetic testing becoming more popular to breeders, this helps weed out the breeders who do not. If you think that mutts are an inferior breed their are countless studies done on cross breeding out genetic traits in certain dogs.
That would take generations and thousands of dollars in trial and error. I mean look at the doodles I know of four around here that are on all kind of medication have hip dysplasia. It is a crap shoot what traits are going to pass on to a one off breeding. I don’t really think there is improvement to be made on the breeds we have now with proven track records going back hundred plus’s years. There is a dog for every job and your not going to get a dog that’s great at everything. Versatile breeds are the closet thing to a Swiss Army knife but they still won’t retrieve like a retriever or point like a pointer.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dog I got from Gina from bird dog labs does genetic testing on all her dogs she breeds, she also gives each pup a lifetime guarantee against some rare genetic traits that labs are notorious for you pay for that testing and guarantee when you buy a dog from her. It's a real game changer for breeders to get a genetic test done to find what genetic markers a certsin dog has before breeding to be able to produce an offspring with the best possible traits you can give them without the old way of trial and error. As long as you are willing to be a responsible dog breeder and only produce quality pups I don't think anyone should have a problem getting a pup from a breeder with impeccable dogs.
Dad breeds golden mountain doodles and has never had anyone complain about his pups being genetic inferior with health issues. Yet again he started off with pups with superior health traits that give his dogs offspring those same quality traits. I wouldn't want one myself because they are such big dogs being that they have traits of large poodle, golden retriever, and Burmese mountain dog. Being that I own a purebred dog that I am happy with so I'm am partial to getting a dog that has superior genetics and didn't just get a pup from just anyone and the same can be said from a dog with the same superior genetic background as my dog but has different parents.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does a combination of those dogs do better than each one of those individual dog breeds? How is it bettering the breed is the real question.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 11
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4