Quick smoked pike/pike jerky dip.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday I decided to smoke some pike while I was at home with the baby. Brined overnight in a gallon ziplock with soy sauce, apple juice, brown sugar, and a couple shakes of cayenne. I'll apologize ahead of time but that is about as sophisticated my measuring system gets. Horrible habit for someone who operates a restaurant but that's just how I roll. Anyway I started about 10:30 am at 210 degrees with cherry wood and just let it go. Now I know I should have checked a little more often but I kept saying I'll wait til the kid's nap time and I'll go check. That being said I sort of enjoy my smoked pike on the jerky side rather than just being cooked through so there wasn't a whole lot of urgency on my mind. Well about 2pm rolled around and the kid was sleeping so I headed outside. I'll admit it, I over did it. Oh well still good. The pike jerky now has the consistency of the jack links you get at the store but tastes like the lean parts of bacon while still being able to tell it's fish. Just had a chunk out of the fridge, not bad at all. Decided to make a dip with what I could find in the fridge. Again my measuring system is almost non existent but here it goes. I started with the pike, chopped in fairly finely, I would guess a food processor would work awesome for this. I hate dishes so I stuck with the knife method. Ended up with about a cup and a half then gave up and threw it in the bowl. Added some buttermilk, barely enough to soak through to the bottom through the pike. Topped that with two good dollops of mayo(the kind that says it is made with olive oil). Took the pepper shaker to it for about 4 or 5 shakes. Then drew about a tennis ball sized diameter circle on top with sriracha. Tossed about a half handful of shredded mild cheddar in. Gave it a couple shakes of tatanka dust on the top and then mixed the heck out of it. Put a top on it and set it in the fridge for a couple hours to give that dryish pike a chance to come together with the rest of the ingredients. Totally worth the 5 or so minutes I spent mixing it up. Its actually gone already so I'll probably try out a larger batch here in a few minutes. If I had cream cheese I would have put some of that in as well but I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds great. i apologize. but, i got a couple of good chuckles out of your "recipes". i think i got the idear though. thanks!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
sounds great. i apologize. but, i got a couple of good chuckles out of your "recipes". i think i got the idear though. thanks!

Oh ya, it would give a culinary teacher an aneurysm. I tell the guys that work for me that if I need to measure and prepackage things after I teach them how to make something I will lose my mind so they better watch carefully.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75