Rat trapping...

onpoint!

Established Member
So I have a rat in my shed. Gravel floor, and he's pushing up gravel/digging all around the edges. Place sticky traps on common runs, he goes throug them like it's concrete. Put down gopher traps, but he's too smart or I'm too stupid to make them effective (covered them in layer of material but nothing yet). Put out a live trap and bait and watched game-cam video of him stopping at the front and then bailing. Going to pick up a handful of conibears when I get back home. Beyond pissed.
What am I missing?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grab a pickle bucket, wire, an empty beer can and peanut butter and anti freeze. Punch a hole in bottom of can. Thread wire thru can and attach wire to opposite sides of pickle bucket( can should easily rotate). Smear some peanut butter on can. Pour some anti freeze in bottom of pickle bucket( I use anti freeze instead of just water so it doesn't freeze). Caught many a mice this way in our porch attached to our camper. Mice climb up pail, out on the wire and then onto can to get pbutter and fall off into the antifreeze and drown. Not sure about rats but think this tactic would work for them as well. Good luck!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sponge cut up into smaller pieces with a bit of bacon grease on them. Old timer trick. Rat eats sponge it swells up and they die also where there is a dead rat other rats will leave from what i understand.

onpoint!

Established Member
Sponge? Didn't want to use poison because I can't get to its nest to retrieve a dead rat. Maybe sponge results in the same smell? Thanks for the ideas!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sponge? Didn't want to use poison because I can't get to its nest to retrieve a dead rat. Maybe sponge results in the same smell? Thanks for the ideas!

If its not a heated shed then you should not have any issue with smell this time of year and should be freeze dried by spring.
I would also try some strategically placed and baited live traps too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28