Ready for Action!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The non-resident pheasant hunters are anyway. Five dude hanging out in the hotel parking lot next to my office. Brush pants: check. Orange hat: check. Shooting glasses: double check.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im headed to scranton shortly. #winning

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
But were they blaze orange fedora hats? Did you see any Connecticut #10 or Benelli #11 O/U shotguns? Did their brush pants match their Italian leather shoulder padded $1000 game vests?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
But were they blaze orange fedora hats? Did you see any Connecticut #10 or Benelli #11 O/U shotguns? Did their brush pants match their Italian leather shoulder padded $1000 game vests?

No doubt.
I am out and about in my 3 sizes too small hunting vest from 20 years ago, a pair of old crap jeans, and an old camo Federal ammo hat on, with my mangy pointing dog busting birds up with marginal success, and the field over is some character with $10,000 worth of equipment, clothing, and guns shooting the same cocks with the same marginal success as me...haha makes me smile knowing that these guys look across the field at me and think, look at that poor somabitch, cant even afford a decent orange hat...haha

Dog snobs are even funnier, poor guys have such little self esteem of their own, that they even have to compare dogs and the superior blood lines..

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh yeah and don't forgot, don't pet their dogs their not trained that way! They're sitting in crates and kennels all year until it's time to be worked into a heat stroke, then grab the next one.

If you have to wear that much orange as to not get peppered by your own hunting group I guess flashing beacons on the fedora hat might help

Last edited:

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
leaving for new salem in about 2 hours

all I have for pheasant hunting is a $40 dollar vest and a nice orange scheels outfitter hat that gets worn 3 times per year. with a beat up $25 dollar pair of wranglers and my work boots with steel showing through the toes is all I need to kill roosters. Cant forget my versamax but have killed a lot of them with $100 870 I carried for years. It is funny seeing all the guys with $100 vests $300 dollar boots and brush pants along with $2000 dollar gun they are afraid to get dinged up

What is the point of having a gun and worrying about a few scratched. In my book the scratches and dings give a gun its character

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
No doubt.
I am out and about in my 3 sizes too small hunting vest from 20 years ago, a pair of old crap jeans, and an old camo Federal ammo hat on.

tell me you also wear aviator shades to complete the "Gene Frenkle" look
a4aa169a2ed8a3f6f7c9112c669beffd-1.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree the blaze orange can be overblown a bit, but I like hunting with guys who at a bare minimum wear an orange cap. Seeing that in your peripheral is a good safety feature...even if you're 100 percent sure you know where everyone is. All I hunt are cattails for roosters, and they get tall and thick. It's easy to get turned around in that stuff, too. It's way easier to spot orange through all that brown.

As for dog snobs, that's probably pointed at guys like me who spend all summer training, then test in the fall and hunt the piss out of their dogs from September through January. Hey, I'm cool with it. But you're more than welcome to pet Remy and Blitz! They're house dogs first and hunting dogs second (despite all the training and hunting every weekend of the season). If dogs aren't sociable with other people, they're useless. At least, IMHO.

Oh, and my wife bought me one of them fancy shmancy WingWorks vests for father's day. Spent a pretty penny. But I'll be damned if that's not the most comfortable, convenient shell-water bottle-dog gear-hunting gear-extra clothes-extra crap-hauling contraption ever invented for long hunts. What can I say? In my 31 years of old age, I'm beginning to enjoy the finer things in life.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The big attraction to pheasant hunting is -

1 The birds are big and slow that most anybody can hit with limited or no practice.
2 Limited effort to be successful, usually doesn't require much walking.
3 They are colorful and take pretty pictures.
4 Very easy to get limit by 9am road hunting with equals more time for drinking

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear an orange vest pheasant hunting. Sorry

me too - a guy should wear SOME orange to prevent pelletization

I bought this neat high tech version long ago

magnets built into shell pockets to keep them semi-closed, water bottle spot, comfy padded mesh back like a nice backpack. etc.

Mother seems to have gone out of business - what a shame

product7Ep7E2629A_027E15001-1.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guilty of some Filson duds but damnit they make good vests and bibs. One solid brown, one half orange vest. The orange looks like a discarded traffic cone if that's any consolation...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
most people don't know this but if you walk in cattails behind a poodle you don't get any in your eyes/nose cuz they all stick to the poodle

2012-11-30 10.49.30.jpg

now you know :;:smokin

when blue-platers see me coming with my poodle they hang there heads in shame, load their crap dogs up, and go home

so do your part - buy a poodle and take it hunting

p.s. they are the superior rock dove dog
2015-09-27 12.50.26.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have orange on my vest. I think it's tough to find a vest without orange anymore. However, I don't wear this stuff the day before season.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know it was so uncool to wear orange when hunting with others. I'm always wearing a hat, so it might as well be orange when bird hunting. And it does not bother me one bit to wear my cheap orange vest either. Been hunting a few times in thick cover when people get spread out and turned around and it is nice to be able see that bright spot when you pull up to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

I have orange on my vest. I think it's tough to find a vest without orange anymore. However, I don't wear this stuff the day before season.

Day before is as dumb as the orange cap on the dash all rifle season. It seems to be a must here in MN. Have to let everyone know you hunt!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
and finally - when poodles get home after the hunt they sit around the house looking totally chill

like pro athletes hanging out in the locker room after winning the big game

2015-07-02 16.58.07.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 120
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 57