Redneck Bale Blind

Viper

They worth the money? Those you that have them, how they hold up over the years?

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won't be buying another one myself. Last year tried anchoring down with 3' of 1/2" rebar stakes and still blew away...spent more time trying to find the damn thing than hunting out of it. If you have access to other bails that you can place around that's a plus. They do have nice room for bow hunting out of I just can't keep them in place. The slides on the windows are efficient while hunting but turn the blind into a giant kite when the wind picks up.

CutEm

Won't be buying another one myself. Last year tried anchoring down with 3' of 1/2" rebar stakes and still blew away...spent more time trying to find the damn thing than hunting out of it. If you have access to other bails that you can place around that's a plus. They do have nice room for bow hunting out of I just can't keep them in place. The slides on the windows are efficient while hunting but turn the blind into a giant kite when the wind picks up.

Had the same issue with mine. Bought some tie down stakes from petco used to hold a dog chain. They are screw shaped with flights. No more issues.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
one of the other important reasons to be in a blind is to stay warm

the design of those particular blinds doesn't allow much option for heating IMO

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Neighbor put one next to my stand on my land (asshole) and with the elk that where there he removed as the elk where destroying his bale stand. hA-HA db-2

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
BALE BLIND.jpgMade my own for a fraction of the price. Now that I know how next one won't take near as long.

Viper

yeah more info when you have time.

- - - Updated - - -

or would buying a Banks stump 2 blind be more worth it? if did, would just set it on the ground until I can construct a stand to put it on.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
20171029_141516.jpg

WKNDWARRIOR and I had same idea. I just built one. Wont blow away. Transportable on my snowmobile trailer. 5x7 platform if i remember correctly gives more than enuf room for 2 guys.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your into the build your own style look into Midwest Haybale blinds. Comes with a list of stuff you need, instructions, and the straw cover. I used one for 5 years until one of our hurricane like wind storms wrecked it. The covers last for 2-3 years even if you leave them outside so if you had a protected place to store it I would think it would last quite a while.

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
ummmmm.... need more information on this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^6
Sorry don't have pics but if I do another one I'll take some and put them up. Basically its a spin off of the old plywood ice houses. Two pieces of plywood on the ends. 2x2's between them covered with a heavy duty tarp and an erosion control blanket. Like I said if I make another I'll take more pics but that's the basic idea. With the green treat plywood being the most expensive part I have less then $200 into it.

- - - Updated - - -

where did you get your material on the outside? I like that better then the straw.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, it has a floor and folds up just like the icehouses do/did? and can you explain the windows? i am guessing the windows are just framed in square holes. which leads me to believe it doesn't fold. no?

wkndwarrior

Founding Member
Founding Member
no floor. just made a box out of 2x4's to screw the plywood to and staple the tarp and straw netting to. Windows are framed out with 2x2's. It does not fold up.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did my own very similar to wkndwarrior a few years ago, plywood ends with 2x2 frame, took hog wire sheet and formed the round bale, covered that with black tarp and cut windows out of the hog wire. Glued straw onto outside of tarp then wrapped with bale wrap, stuffed straw into bale wrap and walla...made window inserts out of 2x2's and leftover hog wire. Damn hired man almost picked it up when hauling bales it looked so real. Was nice to hunt out of until 60mph winds send it 1/4 mile down the draw and into 100 pieces. Will be making a new one similar to this as the Muddy bale blind is clumsy as F*c% (IMO) and windows are on slides so any wind turns that into a kite as well.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of trying to make one of these that will fold up like the old 4x8 fish houses. I'm curious for you guys that have made these how well do you think that erosion material will hold up from the folding and unfolding multiple times? Also if you transport one at highway speed will the material take a beating or do you tarp them?

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. We need design/build photos. Good winter/summer project here.

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of trying to make one of these that will fold up like the old 4x8 fish houses. I'm curious for you guys that have made these how well do you think that erosion material will hold up from the folding and unfolding multiple times? Also if you transport one at highway speed will the material take a beating or do you tarp them?

Possibly someone has done this and has a design that works but I would think a major problem with doing a fold up style would be your shooting windows and having a frame that allows this. I built a few folding fish houses in high school and can't wrap my head around how you could fashion stable windows and still collapse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33