Releasing fish

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was an honest question. Didn't know if we had the inside info lurking around this site or not. I think everything falls back to viability in the end. The big female that's only 5 years old and produces a lot of offspring holds the genetics we want. The 10 year old female that's been able to avoid capture might not have the same egg viability. Like I said, I'm still taking a big fish home.

Big words, buck. Gotta catch 'em first...

Now, If'n I was going with you, I'd show you how..

On the other hand, a fish that's kept will experience mortality 100% of the time. I know - I'm a whiz with numbers.

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good natured fun, Ahab, haha. I wish I could catch as many big fish as you without putting in the effort that you do, lol.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good natured fun, Ahab, haha. I wish I could catch as many big fish as you without putting in the effort that you do, lol.

Pretty easy on them now. Fishing time has been hampered by kids and activities. The world is pushing me toward domestication.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic usually produces about 10 or more pages of the same arguments that everybody used the last time the subject was brought up.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
This topic usually produces about 10 or more pages of the same arguments that everybody used the last time the subject was brought up.

That's why I brought it up again. An article with a different take.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that it works well to release all pike and keep all walleyes.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like catching big fish so I release them hoping they get bigger and maybe I or someone else will get a chance to catch them again, not a guarantee but if I keep that fish there is zero chance myself or someone else will catch that fish again. Makes me feel Good to release them knowing they may get bigger. Just what i do, now if someone wants to keep the bigguns I'm not gonna lie deep down it hurts my feelers a little but it's legal and their decision. I'm not gonna say a word and will give'em a smile and say nice fish.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
I really like watching big fish swim away. Especially walleye cause they take their time swimming away.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most fishermen are dicks, and close minded to any differing opinions. Some guys think they are better at life, when actually a banana sammich is equally neat.
Iffn I keep a table full of dinks, I sure don’t like cheese

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most fishermen are dicks, and close minded to any differing opinions. Some guys think they are better at life, when actually a banana sammich is equally neat.
Iffn I keep a table full of dinks, I sure don’t like cheese

This is just like the recent Yeti thread. Just like the Yeti thread from a couple years ago. Some guys swear buy them, some guys swear at them. Haha.

I know the stats are that a big fish caught will probably never be caught again when released, so go at ‘me boys!!!! (This is regarding walleyes, not muskies). #$%^&>

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is just like the recent Yeti thread. Just like the Yeti thread from a couple years ago. Some guys swear buy them, some guys swear at them. Haha.

I know the stats are that a big fish caught will probably never be caught again when released, so go at ‘me boys!!!! (This is regarding walleyes, not muskies). #$%^&>

MM, not sure if you heard of the proposed rule change to South Dakota muskies but it was brought forth by a chiro school classmate of mine. All catch and release is looking like the end result. He wanted a 50” minimum.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lost one of my favorite lured to a ‘ski over New Years in MN. You better believe if I find that sumbich again he gon’ get it.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck up there Dirty, a 30" there isn't as easy as it looks but its sure fun trying to catch such cool looking fish!

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am out of fish, Sunday I will be keeping every fish caught.

Me to have not caught a fish ice fishing since 2016 so I will saw anything up. To be honest I have lost interest in fishing in general the last few years problem is they are so good to eat.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the frabill predator yesterday to replace my worn out clam. Pretty excited to use my first insulated house, of course today will be spent putting it together. The side doors are the selling point on these frabill. Something I am guessing all will switch to eventually

bowhunter88

Established Member
Big fish = type of food. Period.

Id agree with this. A few years ago i was fishing a lake loaded with stunted perch and an occasional walleye. You'd catch a fat 22 inch eye but it had a head of a 17 incher. They were feasting on all those perch

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the frabill predator yesterday to replace my worn out clam. Pretty excited to use my first insulated house, of course today will be spent putting it together. The side doors are the selling point on these frabill. Something I am guessing all will switch to eventually

Get that sumbitch put together? We assembled one a couple weeks ago, definitely a 12 pack deal. Whoever makes the instruction books for stuff should actually have to put one together once or twice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84