Releasing fish

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just yesterday morning I was watching a t.v. show about northern outdoors (hunting, fishing, etc.). Can't remember the exact name. It covered a guy that fishes bluegill at an undisclosed location in northern Minnesota. Because of large populations of bluegill harvested they say, in Minnesota, the 12" and larger bluegill are no longer present.

Then, a biologist from the MN DNR Fisheries interview that said because so many 12"+ bluegill leave the lakes the smaller fish don't necessarily take on larger size. He said over time the 11" and 10" population remain as the larger sized fish. So, it appears to me, that the scientists are driving this force about retaining size for stable populations of those larger fish.

I'm indifferent to the theory, however, I personally have my limits of harvesting size. With walleye, specifically, I'll return to the lake those over 24" in length. Anything under that size I'll choose to harvest or return, period. It's an individual choice! Will I try to take something from a body of water that is protected by laws/regulations? I don't believe so.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that it works well to release all pike and keep all walleyes.

I like that! Does that mean I can roll the limit on Pike into having more Walleyes??? Sound fair.

- - - Updated - - -

MM, not sure if you heard of the proposed rule change to South Dakota muskies but it was brought forth by a chiro school classmate of mine. All catch and release is looking like the end result. He wanted a 50” minimum.

MM correct me if I am wrong but years ago at Monument Bay Resort (LOW Ontario) they didn't let you put your name on the board unless it was 50" or greater.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found that my release method for walleye is pretty reliable. I can't get a hook in them they tend to survive another day or more. My sucking at catching walleye streak continued this past weekend.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0740.jpg
I released this 30" fish that I caught with a dh custom baits lure on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0733.jpg
Oh same with this one

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys don’t know the pain you cause Dirty Mike when you post pictures of huge walleyes caught on his lures that he can’t catch himself. It hurts his soul. Have a heart you guys.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys don’t know the pain you cause Dirty Mike when you post pictures of huge walleyes caught on his lures that he can’t catch himself. It hurts his soul. Have a heart you guys.

More pain when I can't see the lure in the mouth...I'll get a 30"er. Even if I have to sneak onto MSA or AHAB's boat.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

Try catching the first walleye in his new boat.

Sometimes out of the corner of my eye, I still catch him glaring at me, and that was like 3 years ago!

The only thing comparable would be that fat perch that he poached from Wags.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. Man's gotta eat/catch. Just to let you know, you won't be allowed in the new boat until after I take a few solo trips.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
New boat ?

The power of the Snoody is beyond comprehension !!!! Use the power wisely !!

Is that Wags perch in your office ?

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For the amount of fresh walleye in my freezer, iffen I catch a 30" I am cutting it into steaks like a salmon.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
MM correct me if I am wrong but years ago at Monument Bay Resort (LOW Ontario) they didn't let you put your name on the board unless it was 50" or greater.

I'm not sure but I wouldn't doubt it, 50" has long been considered the benchmark for fish of a lifetime....much like the 30" walleye.

MM, not sure if you heard of the proposed rule change to South Dakota muskies but it was brought forth by a chiro school classmate of mine. All catch and release is looking like the end result. He wanted a 50” minimum.

I hadn't, but I've never fished muskies in South Dakota. Minnesota is pretty much a catch and release fishery with the minimum at 54".

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What have you guys done with wags?
him like my good friend svnmag are strangely absent, together, at the very time we need them the most. Sadly enough I would also like to here from bobkat from time to time.
What ever happened to toby, he out of the clink yet?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84