Reloading Newbie Questions?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So would I be better off using 7mm WSM brass and upsizing it to 300 wsm?

7WSM has the shoulder further forward. It's not that you can't neck it up to 300WSM, but, you'll also have to set the shoulder back a bit and you'll probably wrinkle the shoulder areas a bit and definitely need to fire-form to get the shoulder right.

It's similar to how the 280Rem has the shoulder further forward than the 270Win and was done for the same reason, so that nobody tried to shoot a 7WSM in a 270WSM or a 280Rem into a 270Win.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over $3 per piece of brass!!!! Even more insane than paying $60 a box for Federal Fusion.

- - - Updated - - -

So would I be better off using 7mm WSM brass and upsizing it to 300 wsm?

I’m not familiar with the WSM line of cases. SDMF knows more about that than I do as he indicated. The sizing thing depends on initial brass neck thickness too. I have 2 examples with different results: necking hornady match 308 to 7mm-08 ( I had to turn the necks) & necking lapua 6mm BR down to 22 BR (I did not have to turn the necks).

I just wanted you to be aware of what might be required when going down this route. Obviously buying 300 WSM would be easiest, but we are living in stranger times at the moment. Good luck.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do some reloading of rifle shells when needed. I use a single stage RCBS press. I am looking to upgrade my powder measuring from just a simple scale to something accurate and more efficient. What are you guys using? What would you recommend?
Thanks
Fish On!

Been using cheaper chargemaster Lite I believe it is called and have no problems. I am very picky because I use to shoot competition. Quick easy setup, cleanup, and ez of operation

- - - Updated - - -

If the only difference between 325 WSM and 300 WSM is the neck diameter (I haven't checked), then necking down would be the way to go.
You'd only be necking down .015 (roughly), whereas necking up from 7mm WSM would be .024.

I've necked down both 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Creed to 6mm versions and haven't had a problem.

When necking up and down then you have to measure neck thickness, whole new game to play then. I have all the Sinclair precision reloading equipment that works great. I really prefer to stay with correct headstamp for each cartridge look around used brass all over Federal, Winchester, Remington, yes things have changed I know it cost more for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, I need your help!
My boys are looking to get into reloading for handguns. I haven't used a progressive press and would like some insight on what I should get into. Would be reloading 9MM and 380 Auto and some 10MM. We don't need the very best as we are just getting started but we also will be splitting the costs to get into it so it would be more palatable for a better set up. We aren't major shooters yet but would probably shoot more as we load more.
We do some reloading for rifle hunting with a single stage RCBS press.
Thanks for your help!

Fish On!

Dillion period best damn warranty no BS, pick your budget. I have a XL 650 for twenty years now sent it in after many rounds free rebuild they take some time to get setup but for pistol is all I run. have fun

- - - Updated - - -

With all the different powders out there, I stay away from long grain just too many troubles. There are web sites that show all powders and burn rate. I have no problem getting the accuracy I need for all my shooting. I guess after 40 years of reloading I guy should know.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a keg of Reloder 33 I would trade for Reloder 26, Reloder 17, retumbo, or imr 4350.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been picking up supplies to start reloading so I don’t have to rely on the stores to have ammo.

Question on powder: does anyone use Win 760 in any of their loads? Found some at a local store and my hornady book has some loads for it. It seems like many use IMR but that stuff is impossible to find.

Any other tips for a first timer reloaded?

If you dig into the archives there is thread about trading and selling reloading misc.

NathanSteg

I’m wanting to get into reloading, I’ve looked at lots of things and know the very basics but not nearly enough. anything I need to know or any tips. Thanks

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m wanting to get into reloading, I’ve looked at lots of things and know the very basics but not nearly enough. anything I need to know or any tips. Thanks

Research the reloading tools you are considering on YouTube . Every tool on the market has a video usually. Once you learn the basics and make a bunch of mistakes things will start making sense.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

What cartridge are you going to start with?
In any case, get this: https://www.hornady.com/reloading/handbook
Along with load data, it also has a nice preface section that covers a lot of the terminology and other how-to basics.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend who uses quick load. I give him the the water capacity of a fired case, caliber, barrel length, bullet, and powders and he is able to get me a starting point for test loads and a max powder charge to work into. That information makes reloading much more efficient since components are hard to find.

NathanSteg

What cartridge are you going to start with?
In any case, get this: https://www.hornady.com/reloading/handbook
Along with load data, it also has a nice preface section that covers a lot of the terminology and other how-to basics.

i plan on buying a 9mm so hopefully I will do lots of that. But then once I figure everything out I hope to do dome 6.5 creedmoor.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, cool. I load both of those, although the 9mm (and handgun rounds in general) are a more recent endeavor.
Loading handgun is a bit different from rifle though. For example, with straight-wall brass like 9mm, you need to use an expander die before seating a bullet. which is not something you do with most rifle rounds.
On the other hand, there can be fewer brass preparation steps with handgun rounds as you typically won't be trimming, chamfering and deburring them.

Since I don't know what you already have, I have these tips for 9mm:
- Brass: I would advise getting some once-fired range brass. It's pretty cheap from various online sites. You could also call the RRRMC gun range in West Fargo and see what they sell it for.
- Bullets: For random plinking, the Hi-Tek coated bullets are cheap and work well.
- Dies: They all work about the same for handgun rounds, so get some cheap dies, like this Lee set: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101119737?pid=885350
- Powder: Availability is poor. Before buying any bullets, you will want to cross-reference what bullet weight you want to shoot vs what powders work for that weight vs what powders you can actually get.
- Primers. You want "small pistol" primers. Good luck finding any...

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The ONLY way to do pistol rounds (and 5.56 for that matter) are on a blue machine. Although progressives aren't exactly a "starter" setup. I guess it could be, they really aren't that complicated.

I'd rather bash my head in than do pistol rounds and massive amounts of 5.56 on a single stage.

NathanSteg

Thank you supress and jiffy. I’ll look on all of this and see what I can get. I’m not really wanting to spend lots of money but I’ve seen many different things about how expensive it is but I’ll look into it. Thanks again

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84