Remote camp life

lionslayer25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I finally have enough internet to add a good story from the big state of AK. Was fishing out of our 15 foot skiffs and ended up hooking into a couple halibut. My reel was broke and had no drag so I lost both of them, one being right at the side of the boat. I had to figure a way to get them into the boat so I jimmy rigged a harpoon out of a aluminum pea can, some para cord, a nail, and a stick. The next day we went out and hooked into two more halibut, but when they got boat side this time I gave them a good serving of veggies. It worked a lot better then expected and we had to cut the fish in half to get the harpoon point out of them. It was a good bit of excitement to say the least even though it was no white whale. image.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like fun. U have some major ingenuity when it comes to making something out of nothing.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You rock Lionslayer. Awesome memories that will last a lifetime , Some of the funnest things I ever did came about while operating on a shoestring.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you still short a functional reel? You reel w/left or right hand?

lionslayer25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reel has been retired, but it did catch its share of fish over the years.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winch or coffee grinder? L or R hand retrieve?

lionslayer25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prefer right handed with bait casters and left with spinning. Either or will work if it brings in the line though! I'll see if I can find a pic. The reel I was using was an ambassador and the nut holding the handle fell off. Had a yellow eye on when the handle hit the drink but I was able to handline the powerpro the 150 ft up with only one pretty deep cut to the thumb. Ended up making a handle out of a metal tent stake and the cap end of a heet container as the handle. It let the handle spin with the child proof lock without letting it come off. I even had to pay myself on the back for that one haha.

lionslayer25

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is dead center of Prince William sound. Very neat area, but I'm not much of a rainforest person.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77