Ringnecks after rain?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
S'posta get a bunch of rain tomorrow. Want to shoot pheasants Saturday. Gonna be wet. Worth going out? Any tips?

I've done very little pheasant hunting in the last few years. Beginning to forget how it's done. I'm thinking they don't like wind or wet ground, but everything is wet. What's my best bet? Trees? Cattails? Hay bales?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't had a problem getting birds after the rain. They sit pretty tight it seems.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you have someone going with you I would focus on tree rows. If not and you have a dog I wouldn't hesitate to try cat tails and sloughs. most important thing is to get out early enough to see them out in the open feeding and then just watch where they go. then go shoot them :)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMHO, rain is the hunter's friend in a few ways. On another note, you have a fine chance of a refreshing drop smacking a nipple directly from an organic tree.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wet conditions shouldn't be a deterrent to a good hunt. IMHO gale force winds are more of a pain in the buttocks than rain. About the only tip I could give you is SLOW DOWN on your walk abouts. We have a tendency to walk too fast. Zig zag on your walks..stop often. Them damn Roosters get nervous if they don't hear you and a lot of the times they flush shortly after you have stopped.
Good luck and good hunting

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just drive around and shoot them out the window and have the dog go get them..:::

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What we found today was a lot of pheasants that weren't at all spooked. Some of them were running around the ditches in the morning, but later they were holding TIGHT. Dog dug out at least two that had already been stepped on or passed over by other dogs. Dogs were outstanding today!

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like rain for hunting pheasants, just as long as its not freezing. only took jess 1 hr to get 3.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a first happen to me yesterday. me and the grandson were walking a tree row. my lab got into this rooster up ahead about twenty yards. The bird was making all kinds of noise like he was flushing. but he never came out. It was then quite for a few seconds then a bunch more noise. The bird never came out. When I got up close enough to see the dog she was nose to the ground. I figured she would grabbing him (she often takes birds off the roost). I was rather perplexed. Then all of a sudden above me in the tree the rooster takes off. She had gotten into him and his only escape was to fly up into the tree. He sat on the branch until I got almost below him. Grandson shot him lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88