Ryan Fontaine

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have worked in the healthcare industry in one capacity or another for most of the past 25 years. There is a very real phenomenon that people refer to as the “Mayo effect”. It basically means, if I can get it done locally, it can’t possibly be very good. I first heard it from the CEO of a hospital in Western Nebeaska. It was a great facility with wonderful providers and had great numbers from all the official healthcare groups. But Denver was 3 hours away and this CEO figured several million dollars a year of care was going there because people thought it would be better. Same thing here, Minot people say their local care is awful, better go to Bismarck. Bismarck people flee to Fargo or Minneapolis and those folks flee to Mayo. It’s pretty fascinating in how I have seen it everywhere I go.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have worked in the healthcare industry in one capacity or another for most of the past 25 years. There is a very real phenomenon that people refer to as the “Mayo effect”. It basically means, if I can get it done locally, it can’t possibly be very good. I first heard it from the CEO of a hospital in Western Nebeaska. It was a great facility with wonderful providers and had great numbers from all the official healthcare groups. But Denver was 3 hours away and this CEO figured several million dollars a year of care was going there because people thought it would be better. Same thing here, Minot people say their local care is awful, better go to Bismarck. Bismarck people flee to Fargo or Minneapolis and those folks flee to Mayo. It’s pretty fascinating in how I have seen it everywhere I go.

Very true...I've been fortunate in that no one in my immediate family has had much for emergency or odd medical needs but it seems anyone you talk to always rips on local hospitals. A little bit like the saying "an expert is just someone from out of town."

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even in Bismarck, anybody that has serious shit going on goes to Mayo.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is sad, but right now there is not the testing capacity we need in this country.

I have read and saw stories of people of people dyeing suddenly, presumably of this virus. The sailor that passed away on the Roosevelt was one of them. He was checked on every 12 hours. He had no symptoms at one check and they found him dead on the next check. I saw a story this morning of a young healthy appearing nurse that had the virus and found dead in her living room. There are apparently a lot of deaths in homes in NY.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-3-700-probable-new-coronavirus-deaths.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...exposure-coronavirus-without-wearing-PPE.html

A friend in law enforcement in MN had 2 incidents recently of people dyeing fairly suddenly just after an ambulance was called. The deaths were attributed to blood clots. It makes a person wonder.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is sad, but right now there is not the testing capacity we need in this country.

I have read and saw stories of people of people dyeing suddenly, presumably of this virus. The sailor that passed away on the Roosevelt was one of them. He was checked on every 12 hours. He had no symptoms at one check and they found him dead on the next check. I saw a story this morning of a young healthy appearing nurse that had the virus and found dead in her living room. There are apparently a lot of deaths in homes in NY.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...es-3-700-probable-new-coronavirus-deaths.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...exposure-coronavirus-without-wearing-PPE.html

A friend in law enforcement in MN had 2 incidents recently of people dyeing fairly suddenly just after an ambulance was called. The deaths were attributed to blood clots. It makes a person wonder.

The need for additional real-time testing is an absolute fact.

Nothing else in your post is fact. It's conjecture, assumptions, and from suspect sources. UK Daily Mail is on par with "The Enquirer".

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having all the bad comments from the family online is only a reverse lawsuit of slander/libel. They may publish all their assumptions, but in the end their efforts could be futile when the case can easily be turned around and the family/relatives are punished by a court. The court of public opinion is usually far less than the court awarding monetary judgments.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
very great points. I think now days so many facilities are inter connected that tour essentially being treated by people from these big facilities in some way shape or form. About the only difference now is what surgical technology is available at these smaller places. Such as robotic surgeries etc.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The best doctors in the country are not practicing in western Nebraska or in Minot ND. If you want the best care and the best doctors you go to a big city that have the renowned hospitals like Mayo or Denver hospitals. The hospitals are better I would beg to differ! If I had an important surgery there is no way in hell I would have Trinity do it unless O had no option.

- - - Updated - - -

Having all the bad comments from the family online is only a reverse lawsuit of slander/libel. They may publish all their assumptions, but in the end their efforts could be futile when the case can easily be turned around and the family/relatives are punished by a court. The court of public opinion is usually far less than the court awarding monetary judgments.
There is no way a court of their peers (Minot people) would take the side of Trinity over any family based on libel. Trinity has a reputation like no other city I have ever lived in.......

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems as though the most knowledgeable one doesnt want to answer SDMF questions. Which is not surprising.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn’t see the reference to news. Was this in the Minot newspaper, on the local radio news, on local TV news, or something else?

The governor just addressed it in his presser - the autopsy and postmortem test were both negative for Covid-19

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems as though the most knowledgeable one doesnt want to answer SDMF questions. Which is not surprising.
i missed his question. Brew just answered it. Although long before that it was in several media reports out west. And lots of social media discussion.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My son was hurt in colorado and after a short stay at the local hospital we were given a choice of Craig Hospital or bring home to Fargo.
We heard so much good about Craig and that is where we went.
However two things:

No insurance
To far away for us to be there as we should have to help in his recovery

At home they sent him to Mayo and the expiernce was no different than at Craig.
Looking back we should of came home to Fargo and never went to Mayo or Craig.

I feel the care would of been much better in North Dakota with the main reason we would of been there to make sure the care was being given. Found both places just did not seem to care with no one to push. No insurance, I am sure did not help out.

We all have different experience that shape our thoughts about the place we go to. As i have age i have found that the doctors are human and sometimes one knows what is wrong with ones own bodies. More than once i have told the doctor what i suspected as the doctor was unsure of what was going on or to do.
Just had my third kidney stone or what least that is what I told them. As no blood in urine doc said it was something else. Okay but, so I went into the tube. Well, in was my third kidney stone.

At all cost i would not go to Minot due to my previous expericnes there. When i tore my rotary cup, the first doctor said he would fix without surgery (and I give him a chance and he argue with me when I said I going elsewhere), the second doctor at Grand Forks would not fix as he told me i would not survive the surgery. Come on doc, full of crab and i found a doctor that did the job with very litte pain in Grand forks.

So which hospital, to each there own. db

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
Lapper i agree 100%!!!! After being diagnosed with colorectal cancer and 2nd guessing Sanford I got upset and had my charts over nighted to Mayo. Following day spoke with them and even after seeing my charts and reading what Sanfords plan was they couldn't guarantee care for up to 2 weeks and they said they would do exactly the same plan!!!. I started radiation here 3 days later. Had my surgery done by one of the best if not best in the country here in Bismarck and all of my Dr.'s and nurses were and are top notch to this day!!!! I am GLAD i stayed here. It will be 5 years in June and No complaints whats so ever for Hotel Sanford from me!!! Bigger is not always better!!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even in Bismarck, anybody that has serious shit going on goes to Mayo.

That's not true at all. We moved to Bismarck when I was 10 (40 years ago) and through my entire life, my family has never been to Mayo. My wife had a long bout with colo-rectal cancer, and my dad eventually died from prostate cancer (but he was 83 years old).

Bismarck has fine medical services available.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent a week in Bismarck (med center 1) with a major orthopedic surgery. I couldn’t have hoped for better results not have I ever been treated better by the staff.

Sotaman

Established Member
NO!!!! That dude works with me. Ironically they are the same age down to the day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37