Sad deal

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a portion of the story from a co-worker of mine. It's his sisters nephew. Yes, he was with his girlfriend. He was going after a downed duck, but sounds like he took his waders off to retrieve it. Had stripped won to his underwear. The girlfriend saw the struggle and tried to go help, but before she got out to him, he was underwater and she couldn't make it out, so she went back to shore and called 911. Not sure if this is accurate, but what I was told. Sad deal for sure. Sometimes it's not the gun that is the most dangerous.

I hope more details come out. Right now all this speculation gives us more questions than answers.

Like, if he stripped down to get a duck, that leads me to believe it was too deep to wade. And he'd likely have to swim. So in that case:

1) Was the water cold? Hypothermia cold?

2) Did the waves get the best of him?

3) Was he actually not a very good swimmer and underestimated the distance?

I honestly want to know. As an avid waterfowler, any time something like this happens, I feel it's a learning experience for everyone else.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
This whole situation is awful. Being a slough hunter I always am afraid of something like this.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope more details come out. Right now all this speculation gives us more questions than answers.

Like, if he stripped down to get a duck, that leads me to believe it was too deep to wade. And he'd likely have to swim. So in that case:

1) Was the water cold? Hypothermia cold?

2) Did the waves get the best of him?

3) Was he actually not a very good swimmer and underestimated the distance?

I honestly want to know. As an avid waterfowler, any time something like this happens, I feel it's a learning experience for everyone else.

Sounds like he was a very good swimmer. Possible though that the colder water caused a cramp. Sounds like this was an area he had been hunting his whole life and was very familiar with it. Don't know much else.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Uff, my kids are younger than this, but I could easily have an 18 year old. I don't know what I'd do. I honestly don't know how people get through a situation like this, without faith.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been sloshed in my waders to the point where i was too deep and they had to come off. That was not fun -- i never swam for a duck though. The water temps have dropped though - i have swam in 40 degree water - its amazing what that stuff can do to your muscles and body. I couldnt do it now. Thats why the whole ice fishing to early and boating this time of year without a life jacket is off my list. When i go fishing in the fall - i am almost in a wetsuit if i ever fall in as i have layers of nylon/under amour on me.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
God that sucks. I think of all the times something like that could have happened to me. Be careful out there folks.

onpoint!

Established Member
Wow. So sad. Not to imply there's any comparison, but a buddy of mine stripped to shorts in late fall once to help his dog back to him with a duck in his mouth - dog had broken through ice and couldn't get back up. Wouldn't let go of that stupid duck. Buddy broke ice out to him like a breaker ship up north, grabbed his collar and drug him back to shore.
Many of us have had close calls (even though we didn't even realize it) but this tragic story absolutely sucks. Tough on family and friends, lifetime nightmare for the girl, too.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prayers to the family. I have only gone over my waders once when I stepped in a bever run. That was a long cold walk back to the truck. Luckily I was only 20 yards from shore when I did it.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very somber moment and should be a reminder to all of us to respect mother nature - not worth a duck. I can't even begin to imagine what the family is going through. One moment he's living the dream, hunting with his girlfriend....and in the blink of an eye it becomes the most terrifying moments of either of their lives. Guys, I know we all want to speculate but it only makes those close to the situation think of even more "what if's" and probably makes it worse. Prayers to the family and I hope he's smiling down on us while hunting the thickest flock of ducks God has to offer.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow. So sad. Not to imply there's any comparison, but a buddy of mine stripped to shorts in late fall once to help his dog back to him with a duck in his mouth - dog had broken through ice and couldn't get back up. Wouldn't let go of that stupid duck. Buddy broke ice out to him like a breaker ship up north, grabbed his collar and drug him back to shore.
Many of us have had close calls (even though we didn't even realize it) but this tragic story absolutely sucks. Tough on family and friends, lifetime nightmare for the girl, too.

Saw a video showing how important a dogs dew claws are in a situation like this, can mean the difference between life and death for a dog. Was quite interesting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible.

Hope to never bury a child, feel terrible for the whole family, and that poor girlfriend having to live with this tragedy.
Prayers to all.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 47