Scheels trolling rods

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am wondering if anybody uses them and if they like them? I have a couple of the 6'6" leadcore trolling rods and like them, but was curious if anyone has the longer options. I was looking at the 2 piece and the telescopic rods. Does anybody on here use them? Like or dislike?

I like that they have the lifetime warranty on them for breakage. Always a plus.

1Bigdog

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have the Scheels brand, but I do have a couple of 6'6" rods and also a couple 8'6" rods. I use the shorter ones straight out the back of the boat and I use the two longer ones out the sides when lead lining. Helps keep the lines apart just enough.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the 8' telescopic rods. I got two years out of a reel before the line counter part started to malfunction. I lifted a smallie into the boat last spring and snapped one of them. They did replace it. Overall, if you're looking to get into something a little less expensive, they'd work great for you. I only ever ran two, even with more than one person in the boat. I will be picking up 2 shorter ones this spring.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have two of their 8' telescoping rods. One rod broke and they replaced it without question. I haven't had the counter going spaz like Mike's did. Over time I've done less cranking and more live bait presentations, but that's mostly due to where I'm fishing and can't maintain a specific depth.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with the brand and will definitely cost less. My only wish is that they made the line counter with glowing numerals.

89bluefin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I as well have two scheels trolling rods the rods work pretty good so far but I have seen the reels start to malfunction on some buddys who only had them a few years ... now we noticed it was only on one particular size reel 15cla

Last edited:

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 of the 8 foot telescoping rods and have used them for 3 full seasons with no problems. I did not buy the combos w/ the Okuma reals, as I don't think they are a quality real. I run Diawa SeaLine reels and they have worked flawlessly.

lipripper24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two, two piece 10'6 trolling series (blue) I use for lead (wish they were the 10'6 telescoping) I have 2 8'6 (blue) telescoping trolling I love for fireline I also have two 8'6" I believe they are pro series (maroon) that I use for spares I have 2 7'6 trolling for fireline (blue) I really like the size of these rods. I have four 6'6 (blue) That i use for fireline and mono I use this size to pull boards so I can reach the tip sometimes I use the 7'6" to pull boards too. lastly I have two 5' (blue) for lead. I pull alot of crankbaits 2-3 hundred hours a year I wont deny that I have broke some rods over the years but the warranty is second to none on these rods all of the rods have been good for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Plain Skeeter- I have 5-6 years on most of my sealines and they still work good

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 of the 8 foot telescoping rods and have used them for 3 full seasons with no problems. I did not buy the combos w/ the Okuma reals, as I don't think they are a quality real. I run Diawa SeaLine reels and they have worked flawlessly.

yeah, I don't think I'll buy the reels next time. They worked great until that line counter started to malfunction. At that point, I have to resort back to hitting bottom and reeling up a bit.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SeaLine reals I have are about 9 years old. Used them on mooching rods when I worked in AK. Probably 300 days total on the water. Cleaned the salt water off of them every trip out. Cleaned and lubricated every fall. Not 1 Issue. I also ran Shimano takota line counters in AK. The drags wore out after 1 season.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess it is time to bite the bullet. I end up rebuilding/replacing my accudepths about every two years. Another "you get what you pay for".

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tekotas, buy once and done..

Any higher end Scheels rod has been great for me, they usually have a kick ass sale sometime in the spring.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost a sealine last summer/spring real I bought in the mid 90's. It worked like the day I bought it. I bought a Okuma, used it for 3 years, and the line spooler (the thing that gose back n forth so it spools evenly) is shot. Guess what my I bought to replace my Sealine, and the broken Okuma....easy choice Sealine!! I hope they make them as well as they made the one I got in the 90's.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost a sealine last summer/spring real I bought in the mid 90's. It worked like the day I bought it. I bought a Okuma, used it for 3 years, and the line spooler (the thing that gose back n forth so it spools evenly) is shot. Guess what my I bought to replace my Sealine, and the broken Okuma....easy choice Sealine!! I hope they make them as well as they made the one I got in the 90's.

The levelwind is a very easy fix most of the time, it's probably the pawl and would only cost a couple dollars in parts.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two of the 10'6" and two 5' shorties. I have the scheels Diawas for fireline and okumas for lead. They work good. I'm not sure what I would replace them with.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31