Sconis: Just Plain Dangerous

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]How did we miss this one?!

http://www.inforum.com/node/3955372

Wisconsin man accused of shooting bowling ball out of cannon, damaging barn, possibly killing horse[/h]SPRING VALLEY, Wis. – An errant bowling ball allegedly shot from a cannon has led to criminal charges against a western Wisconsin man.
One ball apparently was fired through the roof of a neighboring barn in the town of Richmond leading to thousands of dollars’ worth of damage, according to a criminal complaint filed this month against self-described firearms enthusiast Ricky A. Thorne, 65.
St. Croix County prosecutors charged the Spring Valley man with one count of felony second-degree recklessly endangering safety. He is also charged with misdemeanor negligent handling of a weapon.
A dead horse with a head wound was also found in a nearby pasture the day the damage was discovered, though authorities said no direct connection could be established between its death and the cannon fire.
Thorne made his initial court appearance in St. Croix County Circuit Court, where Judge Eric Lundell ordered him to post a $2,500 signature bond.
According to a criminal complaint:
St. Croix County sheriff’s deputies were dispatched last July 5 to 1341 Highway 65 for damage to a building by an apparent bowling ball strike.
A resident said she discovered a large hole in the roof of her horse barn and found a bowling ball on the floor near a horse stall.
The resident said she suspected the ball had been fired from a cannon at a neighboring property the previous night during a July 4th party. The bowling ball was found scratched and smeared with what appeared to be grease.
The cannon shots were fired while her guests were sleeping in camper trailers outside her barn, the woman said, “and opined a bowling ball dropping on them probably would have resulted in their death,” a deputy wrote in the complaint.
The woman told the deputy she didn’t report the cannon fire as it happened because she didn’t realize the barn damage at the time and didn’t want to interfere with the neighbors’ Fourth of July celebration.
Damage to the barn was estimated at $3,000 to $4,000.
The deputy went to the neighboring property at 1332 130th Ave., where the homeowner said her brother had been there the previous night with his cannon. She estimated 10 bowling balls had been shot from the cannon between 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
The resident said her brother, Thorne, had assured her that the bowling balls would land in her property due to the trajectory of fire and would embed themselves in the ground “so deep that no one would be able to find them,” the complaint states.
She told the deputy her brother was a firearms enthusiast. She trusted he knew what he was doing.
The deputy spoke with Thorne by phone and described the report. Thorne immediately apologized, saying he didn’t expect the cannon fire to affect the neighbors at all.
“He admitted they had been shooting bowling balls out of a cannon but seemed surprised that any of them could have reached a neighbor’s property, much less impact a building,” the complaint states.
Witnesses said bowling pins were also shot out of the cannon during the Fourth of July party.
The victim of the damage at first said she planned to sort out the problem through insurance companies, but later called the deputy to report she found more bowling balls and bowling pins in her field.
The woman later found one of her horses dead in a pasture on the property.
She reported seeing the horse alive earlier in the day. A lump on its head was observed after being found dead.
She suspected the fatal injury was caused by a flying bowling ball, though she “knew there was no way to prove that a bowling ball or pin hit the horse causing it to die,” the complaint states. No bowling balls or pins were found near the horse, which was valued at about $10,000.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha
Kinda sounds like fun, other than the extreme danger, dead horse, and likely criminal issues.
Something I could see myself doing 20 yrs ago, when I was young, dumb, and sconi like

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this guy has a canon, he's probably got one hell of a gun collection. Er, "had" one anyway. G'bye guns! He can sell them all now to pay the damages that his insurance won't cover because the "accidents" occurred during the commission of a crime. Sconis...

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
This sounds like a grown up version of the odd things I'd find to fire out of my potato gun.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most likely cannon where high air pressure is used to repel objects. You can't even blow up mailboxes with a two liter bottle filled with dry ice.:;:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was fishing by a group of toothless sconis the other day and the pike were really hitting. This lazy inept group of sconis would throw the pike right up on the gravel road right by their buckets. The fish were covered in dirt and rocks and flopping allover. These slack jawed morons would also would make sure to cast in a fashion that screwed my every cast and retrieve. They had nice pickups but must have run out of cash to get to the dentist. Im sure their breathe stunk of weiners and cheese as well.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was fishing by a group of toothless sconis the other day and the pike were really hitting. This lazy inept group of sconis would throw the pike right up on the gravel road right by their buckets. The fish were covered in dirt and rocks and flopping allover. These slack jawed morons would also would make sure to cast in a fashion that screwed my every cast and retrieve. They had nice pickups but must have run out of cash to get to the dentist. Im sure their breathe stunk of weiners and cheese as well.

wiener breath.. sounds horrible.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sconi's suck... watching the above event unfold would be the only reason for me to visit the state.
image.jpg

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
In a sense I have come to appreciate Sconi's, they remind me that even the village idiot has a special place in God's heart. Thanks Slim.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88