Selling a deer head

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mounts are the only thing that needs a tag at this point outside of deer shot this fall.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am confused. Isn't that the opposite for what you just said a few posts back dean?
Nope it just comes down to what they rule is a mount. If a euro is a mount then it's a no go if it's not considered a mount he's good to go.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last I heard, any horns connected to a skull plate need a tag unless they are old and grandfathered in. That's euro, regular and horns with just the plate.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure of rules but did invited a warden into home to show him some things. First mistake. Found out then that one needs a tag on a skull to have. As one said I believe that started a few years ago. Then it is stated on here only if you have a mount so who knows.
but for me I would hate to ask a warden anything. I have bought a number of skulls at auction sales with no tags and not uncommon to find them for sale. Maybe game and fish like our current government just looks the other way.
but I have heard before when you find one, call the warden, sometimes they keep, sometimes they let you have. Can someone tell me why?
For me the rules seem to be different depending on the warden and I would not call. If she wants to sell then sell it. I would bet no one would say anything but then I am not the one breaking the rules.
Guess there are a lot of things to do or say to make it legal,
on e bay one can buy all kinds of horns attach to the skull plate. DBDB

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know darn well Game wardens monitor this site, Chime in and set us straight.

Shadrap65

Founding Member
Founding Member
Per the proclamation ** When any part of an animal is mounted, if the tag is removed from the antlers or ear, the tag must be securely fastened to the back or bottom of the mount and remain there. Tags are not transferable. Also ** It is illegal to possess any deer, or "parts thereof," without first obtaining a license or permit issued through the Department. Natural sheds are not considered "parts thereof." Therefore, a license or permit is not required to possess natural sheds.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully the warden on here will sit us all straight. The current ruling is a recent ruling. Never had to at one time.
All my skulls are from when I was younger.
have not found one in years or for that matter bought one.
must be one hell of a rule to enforce and one hell of a rule for all to follow. DBDB

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well then, A skull isn't a mount unless it is on a board. If that is correct we are good to go ?

I do love how you turned their use of terms around on them and would believe that unless they have the exact definition written down somewhere that your point would cary some legal merit with it. If it hasn't been "mounted" to something then how can it be mounted.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully the warden on here will sit us all straight. The current ruling is a recent ruling. Never had to at one time.Db
This was ment to be a quote of shadrap65

And the licence is only needed to acquire it it does not need to stay with it past may 31'st if not considered a mount. They left some big gray areas in there like they like to do so it frees them up to choose when to enforce something.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dean, leaving gray areas in rules must make then unenforceable in court one would think. Understand maybe the need for the rule.But when we do not understand due to the way it is written and the way it is enforce then either get rid of it or rewrite. Db

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The whole may 31'st thing I don't remember from when the law first came out. It might have been there but I didn't notice it till last year and it's a huge difference from what I first thought the law was and said. That law has so many damn loopholes in it at this point you could drive a 18 wheeler through it. It's damn near unenforceable the way its written.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Time goes quick but I first learn of it a number of years ago as being a new rule from the guy mounting my deer. May be less than ten years. DBDB

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not that gray. The mount blurb is in addition to the general rule that you can't have deer parts without a tag or special permit unless they are sheds. The blurb about mounts is just telling you you can pull the tag off the ear or the antler for display purposes and stick it on back or bottom.

- - - Updated - - -

So, if you have any deer part (which clearly would also include any type of mount) other than a shed, you have to have the tag to show you harvested it legally or got a permit for it after you found it, hit it with your car, etc...

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You didn't actually go back and read the full rule on it on the game and fish website did you. You only need the tag to acquire it not keep it..... anything not mounted can ditch the tag after the first few months. I guess its March not may.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy eff this is a effed up world. My "tag soup" concept would only be successful under the law if you smuggled a head back to your residence. Didn't think that one through...I get the concept: Effing dirt bag effing poachers. There's a difference between a .22 in the ear for meat and illegal "trophy" killing; especially for sale.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12