Selling a deer head

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simple yes.
But when he came to my home some of the skulls I had came from when I lived in another state, some from before the rule and some after the rule. Some where my dads from back in the 40s and later. I had no ideal I was breaking some rule and thank goodness he left the horns with me.
enforceable.
May be not that big of thing to enforce but why when you follow the rule them keep and sometimes they let you have. Their actions beg for some kind of consistency if they plan on enforcing and we are to obey. DB

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes there is always one out there doing things to create rules that end up requiring the warden to be a judge out in the field of when to and when not to. And either way he or she is screw with the decision. DBDB

- - - Updated - - -

I did visit with a warden about going on sites like this. He said they prefer not to as they have enough issues without reading post by people with fictitious names. DBDB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes there is always one out there doing things to create rules that end up requiring the warden to be a judge out in the field of when to and when not to. And either way he or she is screw with the decision. DBDB

- - - Updated - - -

I did visit with a warden about going on sites like this. He said they prefer not to as they have enough issues without reading post by people with fictitious names. DBDB

Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. All in good fun, They are a good bunch of guys doing their job. Only one retired officer has overstepped his boundaries and he knows it and I know it but that was 40 years ago, No bad blood just not forgotten.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
He didn't happen to be from Devils Lake and not a big fan of frozen perch by any chance did he?;:;boozer

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
40 years and not forgotten.
Heard that before but it did come from a member of the opposite sex. Game over Oakland won. DBDB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
He didn't happen to be from Devils Lake and not a big fan of frozen perch by any chance did he?;:;boozer

Nope , This warden was keeping an eye out on his buddies Christmas trees in the middle of the night because the Indians were stealing them. I was working in the oilfield and got off work at midnight and ran into a buddy that was home for Christmas break so we went cruising and having a beer on back roads. I was Idling along in 2 nd gear when he lit up the cherry and turned on his headlights about 50 yards ahead of us and came flying up and skidded to a stop. Scared the shit out of me , I didn't know what was going on. He thought we were stealing Christmas trees (In a Camaro) I set him straight on that but it got ugly when he started searching my car and I told him to GTF out of my car. Got real ugly when I pulled him out by the back of the jacket. In the end I apologized for that but I had 3 guns in the car so he took then and charged me for harassing wildlife. Bum charge totally but I was young and dumb plus I didn't have much more than two nickels to rub together so I let him have his way with me. He had the local news paper owner with him and he was just trying to impress him. Cost me 75 bucks to get my guns back.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good one.^^^^

I still have dreams a few times a year of driving this; my first car '86 Sport Coupe...blew the 305 and illegally replaced with 350 (wrong wheels in pic):

th

- - - Updated - - -

Knew a guy with an '84 four speed and replaced nothing but the six cyl with a 350 and pipes by his older brother. He drove that girl like grandma. He let me drive her once and was amazed it could chirp the rubber. No shit. I thought Blue was quick with an automatic. Wish I'd traded him for that car. Eff it was fast. Mustang 5.0's had nothing on Blue after the 350. This guy's car was on a whole other plane and he didn't GAF being married and this was their transportation.

- - - Updated - - -

His car was matte brown. The shift had a large black ball on the end of the lever. Same car as Pard's in Myrtle Beach who kept his stock.

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it comes to found antlers in the field anything that is attached to a skull plate needs to have a permit from the Game & Fish. That's the case for any big game animal - deer, elk, moose, antelope, bighorn sheep etc. Probably won't get a permit for sheep and it may be tough for elk/moose and almost certainly no permit will be issued if it appears the animal didn't die of natural causes. The couple wardens I know will pretty much always issue permits for what appear to be natural deaths but get little hesitant when it appears otherwise. Apparently there are documented cases of people big game and leaving it, hiding it and coming back well after the season and wanting permits for "found" antlers. Just recently saw an article on a massive bighorn sheep found dead in British Columbia by a firefighter and the head was confiscated for the same reason so it's not just North Dakota that looks at things that way.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I did visit with the state and federal game and fish. There are no rules against selling or buying deer horns, mounted or not.
They also stated the same thing labhunter just stated and some time ago the rule of keeping a tag with the horns was started and for the life of the horn.

My car memories go back about 20 years from yours synmag. But still the same. Grew up in the middle of the muscle car time and my dad did like fast cars. Had Hudsons in the fifties. Then a 57 Olds with the J-2 motor which was the fastest in town when my older brother beat the king at that time, a 59 chevy with the 348 tricarb. Then a 65 sport fury with a 426 wedge but the wrong rear end of 2.92. Finally a 440 375 HP VIP Plymouth which my younger brother blew the motor up so many times that the warranty was no longer any good. But it was on top when it came to racing on the highways. My dad was proud of that.
Its funny neither one of us three did not die from racing or whoever was with us. Two races I was in on highway two consisted of twenty miles with the cars side by side. One against a 442 and the other a 396 chevy. Nobody would give up. Tires from the 60s were not the best at that time and the 396 race was in a snow storm, after may be a beer or two. dumb but it was better than pot. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks db and labhunter and everyone else that chimed in.

"When it comes to found antlers in the field anything that is attached to a skull plate needs to have a permit from the Game & Fish."

I promise this will be my last dumb question , What is a skull plate ? The actual skull ? Or a piece of man made material that is attached to a skull ?

- - - Updated - - -

Disclaimer: Last dumb question on this topic.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be the actual bone of the skull.

Thanks db and labhunter and everyone else that chimed in.

"When it comes to found antlers in the field anything that is attached to a skull plate needs to have a permit from the Game & Fish."

I promise this will be my last dumb question , What is a skull plate ? The actual skull ? Or a piece of man made material that is attached to a skull ?

- - - Updated - - -

Disclaimer: Last dumb question on this topic.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im thinking I could start a black market for all those unfilled tags ive had over the years.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my share too and some are metal ball and metal tab. Depends how far back you need one. db

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did visit with a warden about going on sites like this. He said they prefer not to as they have enough issues without reading post by people with fictitious names. DBDB[/QUOTE]

I'm probably wrong on this but I would guess that if LEO wanted to find out who posted information about an illegal act on here Vollmer would be forced to hand over the persons account information if they asked for it. Like you say they have better things to do than go on a wild goose chase or a witch hunt but I wouldn't say anything on here that I wouldn't tell LEO, Just incase.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 39
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14