Serious, shit happens

Happycamper

Honored Member
Serious, shit happens
I’ve just had another good buddy diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
Now I know I’m probably one of the older guys on this site even though I mentally feel like a young buck but this is shaking me to the core. I’m having difficulty dealing with it because I know it could be me/you. Most of my friends have left us, last week an old friend went to take a shower and never returned. Sadly to say I was happy that he never spent a day in a nursing home.
Both of my friends were with me on an Alaska fishing trip a few years ago. The “tells” were there and I’m here to tell you, bewildering and painful. In later hunting and fishing trips the bizarre behavior was beyond comprehension. I’m confident I handled it respectfully but I should be able to do more had I had a little warning and direction.
I believe I owe it to those who put up with my idiosyncrasies over the years some time, compassion and perhaps peace of mind. None of us will get out of here alive but I believe we owe it to our buddies to make the transition to the next world as peaceful as possible.
I’m open to suggestions.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandma always did crossword puzzles, sharp as a tack. Getting a brisk walk in each day is a great help too.
Sometimes in retirement one gets sedentary, which ages one out very quickly.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often worry because my memory is so poor as I age. In college I could pull off a 3. studying 15 minutes a week, but today I forget common words in mid sentence. Kind of worrisome. If it gets worse I could end up voting for Biden.:(
The best mental exercise I have experienced was a small electric radio controlled Piper Cub. When flying away left was left and right was right, but when flying back left was right and right was left. Then that all turned around when you fly upside down. The Cub wouldn't do that, but I had a stunt model also. You had to think correctly, and often fast or you drilled them onto the ground. My drones are ok, but a fixed wing adds another dimension of eye, hand and brain coordination.

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
As I reach close to that 60yo spectrum I think of these things more and more. If not some debilitating diagnosis just the concept of what type of funds will be necessary to retire with. So, in the end, daily abilities and affording the daily abilities lie heavily on my mind. It seems more difficult than when I was 40yo, believing life was supposed to get easier! Hmmmmmm

I think 95% of us realize we have to do a better job of taking care of ourselves.... just when that begins to take shape is the impending obstacle.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the same boat,put my 92yo dad in senior care last week,just in the nick of time as his dementia was getting worse by the day ,he was living alone since mom died 5 years ago,tuff old fart,he was heavy on the excersie,wore out a excersie bike I bought him in two years after I convinced him not to ride his peddle bike no more after he fell 3 times that I know about,couldn't remember what day of the week it was but his stories from korea were never ending over and over,sad deal my younger sister tried to take him to the home last week alone as she was his favorite,pretty sure a argument occured as he didn't want to leave his house,my sis had a heart attck and passed away that fateful day so I pulled a fast one to get him in my vehicle kind of,the day I brought him to the home I told him he was getting the corvid shot which was true,we had a doctor waiting incase he resisted going in for corvid plus a stimulant shot,he didn't know I would leave him there,when I left it felt like I dropped my dog off at the pound,couple days later when I visited he didn't recongize me at first,then he offered me $100 to take him home....so watching him go down this path is tough,I'm having second thoughts of getting to old.I'm lucky I've made it this long above ground but my body is shot,my mind still thinks I'm in my 30's tho.

PS as stated above crossword puzzels help get the brain active. brought the old boy a book of puzzels.

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
there is a memory Repair protocol loaded with pertinent info, really stresses diet and nutrition.

My initial attempt with this thread was to get ideas for dealing with affected people.

I have lots of time now and would like to make my buddies lives more comfortable but it sure can be exasperating.

Memory_Repair_Protocol_web_v5.pdf

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm old too and the one thing that hasn't been mentioned is to have a plan in place
while you are still mentally with it.

It sounds like it's too late for your friend and that sucks.

If you want to do some light reading about it, check out the book "Final Exit".

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is a concern.
My dad in 80s got really bad. Got him into hospital for them to keep. Doc did interview and then accuse me of trying to do something under the table with my dad.
i said lets me and the two of you docs do interview together with dad. He never left and should of got him there sooner.
Long road after that including watching interns put him in straight jacket to control. After some time they finally found the right chemicals to give him to control.

His last 15 years or so where not the best for all of us. Not the way wants to get old. Ma maybe somewhat better but again maybe best not to live so long.
So i am concern. Told the kids they need to stay on top of this on me and i am sure i will fight them to stay at home. Hope i am of mind to understand the time has come and it is best to move on to that final stage of life. Maybe the wife and i can live together and then when the time comes we can both go before we no longer have quality of life.

But keep active and sometimes i need to push myself but continue to push. db

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,my ole man was/is a health nut,when I was growing up way back my dad road his peddle bike to work everyday unless it was snowing 10 miles each way,always working out until recently,called him one day last summer,he was out of breath,figured oh oh his heart,drove to his house.there he was sitting in his living room with two 10lb dumb bells at his side,he was running up and down the stairs with the dumb bells in hand,pissed because he used 20lb'ers last year,his diet fruits and grains with a dried out skinless chicken breast 3 times/week for protein,bitched about it but choked it down when he dipped it in a cup of tomato soup. never ate fast food,never drank booze,occassional beer on a hot summer day.diet and excersie is the key,work the brain with crossword puzzels is helpful,pretty sure my mom did the same but underlying issues took her at 88 yrs,heavy smoker in her day,even tho she hadn't smoked in many years the damage was done is what the doc told me.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow:
Have not told the whole story about folks getting old, what we all went through, many crabby things and some good memories but nowhere like what happen to you and your sister. i feel for you and how it may still haunt one. i assume your dad had no idea. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88