Sharpening Chain Saw

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you bar length and chain type are appropriate for the power your saw puts out, 90% of folk should never have to worry bout the depth gauge.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
As long as you bar length and chain type are appropriate for the power your saw puts out, 90% of folk should never have to worry bout the depth gauge.

only if it has never been sharpened. I have a Stihl 036 Pro saw with a 20 inch bar, saw could run a 36 inch in the right conditions but I can work it hard with the 20" and if one doesn't trim the depth gauge after one sharpens it the saw will make a lot of noise but do nothing but get hot.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never go out cutting without my round file. If you hit dirt the blade dulls almost instantly in my extensive experience with running a blade into the ground! A few quick strokes of the file on each section and your cutting again. I will have to try the depth gauge though. I never knew it could make that big of a difference but it does make sense now that I think about some older blades that have been sharpened multiple times that didn't want to cut right for me anymore.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cutting ironwoods in MN is the devil when it comes to chainsaws. Seems I spend as much time sharpening as I do cutting. Lots of good info on this thread. Thanks!!! BTW, I hate ironwoods.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hi there!
I'm affraid of being out of the subject but you seem to know a lot about chainsaws. I'm hesitating between Stihl and Husqvarna. What would you all recommend? I have read the reviews on https://mentoolbox.com/stihl-vs-husqvarna/. Though still cannot decide on a particular unit.

you can't go wrong

It seems like a lot of tree cutting services use Stihl - which is why I went Stihl.

Now I too am Pro status!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19