Sheds

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been putting in more shed time than regular this year, and have found less sheds than I ever have since I started walking with finding sheds in mind. I know deer migrate come early-mid spring, but sheesh! Anybody else had a punk spring finding sheds? Or found found anything sweet? Pix?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
No severe winter = dispersed deer?

THIS^^^^

Been a slow year for us as well. It was a good winter and the most deer I saw in one bunch was about 25. Not complaining at all. I'll give up finding some sheds to see LIVE deer in the fall.

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had a couple extremely good winters yet in our part of the state the numbers are about as low as they were right after the 3 bad winters in a row. Makes me wonder what's going on, its like this all across the Midwestern states right now, almost like its in some kind of cycle like rabbits or something..
I did find the a side off the biggest typical I've ever hunted thou so that's a good thing I guess. :)

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shed hunter found more that he was looking for.

13012893_503617719825054_3203082867730710243_n.jpg

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of April 12 I still had pics of 6 different buck still carrying antlers. Of course I walked the land in late February and found the tell tale tracks of an ATV. Posted land be damned. Anyway, the herd looks good. I'm disappointed by the number of acres taken out of CRP and the miles of tree rows cut and burned. I bought this land because I want my grandkids to enjoy what I have enjoyed. Other than that I doubt most people don't give a shit.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out turkey hunting, the deer I've seen are starting new growth and look pretty good. Haven't found a shed yet though. I haven't looked real hard either.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of April 12 I still had pics of 6 different buck still carrying antlers. Of course I walked the land in late February and found the tell tale tracks of an ATV. Posted land be damned. Anyway, the herd looks good. I'm disappointed by the number of acres taken out of CRP and the miles of tree rows cut and burned. I bought this land because I want my grandkids to enjoy what I have enjoyed. Other than that I doubt most people don't give a shit.

Well this makes me feel a little bit better. About 3 weeks ago I was coming out of Heskett just at dark and about half a dozen deer ran across the road in front of me and I could have sworn that one of the bucks still had his last years rack. I thought that was impossible and I must have been imagining things as he just flashed through my headlights. Is this not unusual?

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weird year indeed, no stress I guess. I found twice as many this year from the cab of a tractor spreading fertilizer than I did walking many miles looking for the things and in random places mostly in the middle of bean fields.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I walked around 120 miles and only found 43 sheds, hoping to find a least a dozen or so more in the corn stalks when we start planting beans. They were so spread out and random this year's. I did find my biggest set ever tho

Last edited:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I walked around 120 miles and only found 43 sheds, hoping to find a least a dozen or so more in the corn stalks when we start planting beans. They were so spread out and random this year's. I did find my biggest set ever tho

Hopefully not with your tire! Man that pisses me off when a spindly little horn pokes a hole in a 2000.00 tire at least it doesn't hurt as much if it's something huge.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple years ago I missed a lil 4 point and it took out a 850 on the 4 wheel New Holland. We are a 100% no-till and all our corn stalks are waist high but with the crazy NW and SW winds this year there a tangled mess, I hope their bleached out enough to spot them. Wrecking a tire does suck but so does a nice horn

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last week a friend of mine saw two bucks with full racks from last year. Down south of Bismarck.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you suppose we're in for a year of stunted racks due to the late shedding? I don't know that I've ever seen an antlered deer after January.

- - - Updated - - -

Shed hunter found more that he was looking for.

13012893_503617719825054_3203082867730710243_n.jpg
this makes me sad. Ugh....

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I see bucks every year carrying late March April, low stress means instead of having to replenish their bodies 1st before antler growth they can start putting inches on right now

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33