Shore fishing the Red River

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since we are on the subject, any of you "Cat Rats" catch anything other than channel cats and stone cats in that river?? Been told there are Blues in the red, but I'm having a tough time believing that. Flatheads....maybe, but not blues.

No Blues or Flatheads in the Red River.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since we are on the subject, any of you "Cat Rats" catch anything other than channel cats and stone cats in that river?? Been told there are Blues in the red, but I'm having a tough time believing that. Flatheads....maybe, but not blues.

There's always a rumor that someone catches a blue or flathead, but it's never been verified. I've caught some might pale channels in the past that some might think were blues, but they ain't. And post-spawn males can take in the appearance of a flathead sometimes, which might explain the false reports.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's always a rumor that someone catches a blue or flathead, but it's never been verified. I've caught some might pale channels in the past that some might think were blues, but they ain't. And post-spawn males can take in the appearance of a flathead sometimes, which might explain the false reports.

Sent a picture in once of a cat that was damn near purple. Post spawn channel cat was the reply.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sent a picture in once of a cat that was damn near purple. Post spawn channel cat was the reply.

I have observed nearly every color under the sun for cats in the Red near Fargo. From pitch black, to purple, raw/pink, silver, and dang near white.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have observed nearly every color under the sun for cats in the Red near Fargo. From pitch black, to purple, raw/pink, silver, and dang near white.

I hooked what I thought was a possible state record north of Drayton. Got it up to the side of the boat and it was the nastiest baby shit yellow you've ever seen. Didn't have a net or a gaff with, grabbed the leader and the eagle claw hook broke off at the eye. On ten pound test as well.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up This is a thread that keep on giving , I looked through my treasures and even found a catfish rod and a couple of other heavy duty setups. Watched youtube videos how to clean catfish and all I have left is to build a couple good rod holders and should be good to go. #$%^&>

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up This is a thread that keep on giving , I looked through my treasures and even found a catfish rod and a couple of other heavy duty setups. Watched youtube videos how to clean catfish and all I have left is to build a couple good rod holders and should be good to go. #$%^&>
For my bank rod holders, I like to use a length of 1.25 inch PVC attached to a long piece of rebar with 2 hose clamps and stick it straight into the ground. Works good and will hold your rod even if the fish starts pulling drag before you get to your rod, not to mention they are dirt cheap to make. Be sure to let us know how you do.

- - - Updated - - -

bullheads

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have caught quite a few walleye while using cut bait for cats - usually cut goldeye and sometimes on the retrieve. Reaction strike I'm sure. All have been 5 lbs+ but no monsters. Also, a stray northern once in awhile. One time got 17lb and 12 lb cat AND a 5 lb walleye from the same snag on cut goldeye.

As for snags in the river, the further south you go, the more snags. Pembina is like a foreign land to me the Fargonian - got there and expected typical southern structure such as snags....what I found was flat, no snags, and was fishing holes. I believe GF is a hybrid of Fargo snags and Pembina holes.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught quite a few walleye while using cut bait for cats - usually cut goldeye and sometimes on the retrieve. Reaction strike I'm sure. All have been 5 lbs+ but no monsters. Also, a stray northern once in awhile. One time got 17lb and 12 lb cat AND a 5 lb walleye from the same snag on cut goldeye.

As for snags in the river, the further south you go, the more snags. Pembina is like a foreign land to me the Fargonian - got there and expected typical southern structure such as snags....what I found was flat, no snags, and was fishing holes. I believe GF is a hybrid of Fargo snags and Pembina holes.
Lol ya I'm used to fishing the red up north of drayton, and I usually target holes so when I get to fargo once in a while and try my luck I struggle to find fish. Should I try to find holes on outside bends or just look for trees?

Last edited:

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all this talk of structure I just want to go fishing. Everything is setting up to be great but we need a little heat got kick it into gear.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned a valuable lesson about river fishing , An inch or two of rain can be a deal breaker. Earlier the river was way down and the lower ledge on the bank looked safe. when I got there on Friday the river had risen and I didn't find a safe place for kids so we played ball and did some gardening instead. They were happy when I said we will go boat fishing instead. I'll try the river this fall .

Last edited:

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned a valuable lesson about river fishing , An inch or two of rain can be a deal breaker. Earlier the river was way down and the lower ledge on the bank looked safe. when I got there on Friday the river had risen and I didn't find a safe place for kids so we played ball and did some gardening instead. They were happy when I said we will go boat fishing instead. I'll try the river this fall .

I think it's crazy how we can get an inch or two of rain nowadays the rivers go up that much with how dry it was. But I guess that's a topic for another day. #$%^&>

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the heat this week and stable river this weekend should be great fishing. Looking forward to getting at it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cats are on the chomp. Took my son out to the Red 2 nights ago. Got about a dozen in a little over an hour.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cats are on the chomp. Took my son out to the Red 2 nights ago. Got about a dozen in a little over an hour.

My son wants to catch a catfish in the worst way, which is funny because I'm pretty sure he has no idea what they are. But he keeps telling me he wants to catch catfish, so we may need to make that happen. His mama is deathly afraid of him fishing by the river, however, so I'm not sure if that'll happen anytime soon. I even said I'd put a live vest on him and tie him to some brush, but mom said no dice.

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw a life jacket on him and your good to go. People used to swim in the river before it was turned into a dirty dangerous thing by popular myth. "Swimming was popular as well in Fargo-Moorhead in the 1930s. Dommer’s Boat House was a popular spot for swimming, boating, and “hanging out”by the river. “They are so anxious to bathin the Red River dam they sneak in between racks of canoes and change theirclothing,” Frank Dommer complainedin 1932 (Clay County Historical Society, 2000, p. 76). "

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw a life jacket on him and your good to go. People used to swim in the river before it was turned into a dirty dangerous thing by popular myth. "Swimming was popular as well in Fargo-Moorhead in the 1930s. Dommer’s Boat House was a popular spot for swimming, boating, and “hanging out”by the river. “They are so anxious to bathin the Red River dam they sneak in between racks of canoes and change theirclothing,” Frank Dommer complainedin 1932 (Clay County Historical Society, 2000, p. 76). "

That's what I tell my wife! But she's a worry wort. I'm not going to push it, especially at 8 months pregnant and over mother's day weekend. There's plenty of time to fish yet this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88