Shore fishing the Red River

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what I tell my wife! But she's a worry wort. I'm not going to push it, especially at 8 months pregnant and over mother's day weekend. There's plenty of time to fish yet this year.

That makes for a special kind of crazy.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's crazy how we can get an inch or two of rain nowadays the rivers go up that much with how dry it was. But I guess that's a topic for another day. #$%^&>

I surmise it's like the desert. The ground gets too hard for absorption.

- - - Updated - - -

My son wants to catch a catfish in the worst way, which is funny because I'm pretty sure he has no idea what they are. But he keeps telling me he wants to catch catfish, so we may need to make that happen. His mama is deathly afraid of him fishing by the river, however, so I'm not sure if that'll happen anytime soon. I even said I'd put a live vest on him and tie him to some brush, but mom said no dice.

If you'd be interested in the tailrace, PM and I'll set you straight.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was visiting with someone about red river fishing and they mentioned that a ND resident can legally fish the MN shore of the river without a MN license , Is this correct ? I don't see the rule in the proclamation anywhere. Thanks in advance.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=3]From ND regs

Red and Bois De Sioux Rivers[/h]Individuals fishing the Red River and/or the Bois de Sioux River in a boat or on the ice who possess a valid fishing license from either North Dakota or Minnesota may fish the river(s) between the banks of the river separating North Dakota and Minnesota. Individuals fishing the Red River and/or the Bois de Sioux River on the shoreline must have a valid fishing license from the state in which they are fishing. Those individuals possessing the correct, valid license may transport caught fish by the most convenient and direct route to the state in which they are licensed. All anglers and boaters are required to comply with aquatic nuisance/invasive species, fish and bait transport regulations of the state they are in, except while on the water or ice, anglers must comply with the regulations of the state for which they are licensed. (NOTE: this includes those who are not required to have a license).

- - - Updated - - -

It used to be you could fish either side with a valid license even from the other state. Then they changed it a couple years ago. No idea why.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
We regularly jumped in to cool down on those hot red River mid afternoons. I am still alive.

- - - Updated - - -

You can put the boat in on the MN side with a ND license. So, at least we still have that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88