Should have known better

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Alkaline yesterday and me and my fishing buddy managed to get our limits sooner than usual so we decided to troll back towards the dock to see if we could pick up a couple more northerns along the way. I had already caught a half dozen and managed to get three of them in the boat. Lost a real bruiser when he jumped clear of the water and threw my lure. We were about to pack it in when I got a hard hit on my trusty old gold shad rap and when I reeled it in it was the biggest walleye I ever caught. It was 21"+ and I know some of you may not think that's anything special but to a beginner like me it was Moby Dick. :;:rockitMan was it hard to toss that one back when you have a cooler full of 14 and 15 incher's but I did. Should have known that would happen. I'll be crying about it for a while. ;:;boohooWell at least I know there are still some big fish left in that lake even after the 'Sconis have been hammering it for years. :( There were 10+ outfits in the parking lot when we arrived and more came while we were on the water. I'm amazed what a great fishing lake it is when I can still remember that it was once just a big slough with a gravel road through the middle about 15 years ago. I'd sure like to know what caused it to go from a 4' deep cattail slough to a 20' deep fishing lake. Hope it doesn't go back to being a slough again.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats on your biggest eye. I always have my wife and kids let go every thing over 21inches unless deep hooked. A picture to me is just as good as keeping a bigger fish like that. Another thing to do is always leave 1 fish short in the boat just in case that happens.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Patients grasshopper. I see plenty off 21 inchers in your future.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, as said above that's nothing to get worked up about. They will only get bigger and more shallow as fall progresses. Remember where it was and pound that area. There might be a little hump or something. Be sure to leader up your lucky ShadRap. If this effects the bite on a crank, I've haven't seen it!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it means allot to you then it doesn't matter how others vew it. Congratulations sounds like a nice day on the water. If the beer was cold thats about as close to nirvana as you can get!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
DO NOT listen to this Dean Nelson propaganda!! You have EVERY RIGHT to fell morbidly depressed and it's our job to soothe you. Buck up camper damn it.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. I feel better already. Ready to get out there and get the next 21 incher. ;-)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would look on the bright side. At least it wasn't a 30 incher for the wall. It will make you go back for more.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 67
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27