Shouse Building

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd have a "mud" room with the washer dryer and some closets. Oh and a sink!! If you have pets a nice floor drain in it with a little wash station to hose off the mud. I wish my mud room had a drain. Be a good spot for the kitty litter so you can have a few rat catchers in the place.
Yeah I’m thinking of putting is a walk in right off the shop with a good system to be able to wash off and clean up the dogs. Also putting a run in the shop for them.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geothermal heated floors and geothermal cooling. Ceiling fans and exhaust fan for when needed. Build an entryway mud room as an air buffer between shop and living space.
I haven’t looked into the geothermal much. I’ll do some research.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Unless you are a good distance, like half a mile away from neighbors, I'd forego the oil burner in the shop. They stink like hell and are a good way to annoy neighbors.

Yes, I once had a neighbor about a quarter mile away and slightly down in elevation that ran an oil burner in his shop. Maybe 10-20 days a winter it would stink up my place when the wind was just right.
Why the hell are waste oil burners so dam expensive!?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad idea, if you have a leak, now you are effn up your walls to find it.
Run air and water lines on the wall for access, it isn't a house or fancy pansy, best future trouble advert you can install.
Nope you do a leak down test before you cover walls,.same as if you were installing pex for water.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would burn my shop down. 😆
If I build a shop I would use an outdoor boiler system with heaters that hang on the ceiling. Waste oil is actually cleaner but wood is way cheaper especially if you build 2x6 instead of 2x4 and have access to a tree servic that can sell you trees that they cut down.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I build a shop I would use an outdoor boiler system with heaters that hang on the ceiling. Waste oil is actually cleaner but wood is way cheaper especially if you build 2x6 instead of 2x4 and have access to a tree servic that can sell you trees that they cut down.
I just have so much waste oil I could heat my shop all winter. Figured it could be put to good use but some of those heaters are in the 5-7k range. Hard to justify that price.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It isn't cheap. Much of the cost is in running the heat exchanging lines underground. If you have the ability to do the dirtwork yourself, you'd save quite a bit of money in the install.

Bit of an older video, but you'll get the concepts and a rough idea of how much savings can be had.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...C5647E46FD19E4CCFC19C5647E46FD19E&FORM=VAMTRV
A number of yrs ago, my brother put a heat pump in a farm house west of Fullerton. He tapped into a artesian well and the water was 66 degrees coming out of the ground. They were heating and cooling there house for penny's a day. I helped him put in many loop fields. For new construction it's the only way to go.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just have so much waste oil I could heat my shop all winter. Figured it could be put to good use but some of those heaters are in the 5-7k range. Hard to justify that price.
Check out online forums for ideas to convert fuel oil to waste oil, since most are forced air, you could install ductwork through out your chop. Also one must remember that a waste oil furnace is an investment, with proper maintenance, the unit should work for years. Then sit down and figure out how much money it costs per kw compared to alternatives like propane, natural gas, and electric, you will realize that you will save thousands compared to the others even if need to shell out for the initial cost.
Another example is buying a 500 dollar mattress instead of a 1000+ mattress granted the mattresses will function the same for a period of time but with normal use the 1000 dollar mattress will pay for itself because the 500 dollar mattress keeps you up at night because the support when it was new is worn out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 303
  • This month: 191
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73