Small Food Plots for Deer

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the good responses. I'm doing a lot of research right now. A few random questions-

Anyone have suggestions on brushy shrubs or bushes than will provide some winter cover for birds and a bit of deer cover that don't take a million years to grow?

Anyone plant much for BIG sorghum and cane? What did the deer think of it? We are lacking in winter cover for birds and a lot of folks suggest the big sorghum. I have experienced birds popping out of sorghum strips after a blizzard....fun!

What is out there for perennials for deer plots? Are they worth it or are you better off restarting each year?

Seed sources- Any thoughts there? Pheasants Forever has a pretty wide ranging selection and with the quantity we're talking the price won't be too bad.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Traxion...a good cool season grass mix with clover is a good all around cover. As for fast growing trees go with russian olive. If you only need corn seed for a couple acres, one bag of corn seed will do 3-4 acres depending on how you plant it and cost about $400 max. You can also stay in touch with the agronomy centers and get your hands on bags that got ripped or are left overs from last year...they'll give you a good deal on those.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trax, as far as bushes and shrubs for deer, I would look at evergreens of some kind. Deciduous shrubs look great with leaves on them, but come winter they suck for thermal cover. Junipers make a good wall in a couple years and if you can add some pines on the outside it makes a nice pocket of cover that even the harshest blizzard has trouble penetrating. Add some good browse like dogwood and you have something the deer, rabbits, game birds, and all manner of critter can use to stay alive over the winter. I've been working on my plot of land for about 15 years now and I still have things I would like to see differently. It's not a quick fix, but it sure is fun. Good Luck!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11