Smoked Pork Should recipe suggestion

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are lots of tricks and ways to do it. Just depends how many hours you wanna sip on adult beverages.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
to be honest I think there is something magical that happens if you never exceed boiling temps (212F for those of you in Rio Linda)

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
to be honest I think there is something magical that happens if you never exceed boiling temps (212F for those of you in Rio Linda)

Meh....I like 250-275.....so there :)

18 hours to cook a chunk of meat is ridiculous!! You know how much beer that is?!? Thumbs Up

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meh....I like 250-275.....so there :)

18 hours to cook a chunk of meat is ridiculous!! You know how much beer that is?!? Thumbs Up

I have a computer that runs mine all night - whilst I sleep like a baby

#guyisalazya$$smoker

WSD-1500A_a.jpg

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=380

- - - Updated - - -

WSD1201run.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

plug and play - ha ha

IF you are used to programming super cryptic temp controllers that is

I've used them for decades at work so it was no shocker how hard they are to program - they STILL make very little sense when you read the manual after a few months of no changes to smoking program and you try something new

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to inject mine with a mixture of apple juice, sugar, worsh, and salt. Rub down with a homemade rub (I don't have the ingredients at work, I will post them when I get home). Do both about 24-48 hours prior to smoking. I get the Traeger going about 4-5am at 225. Set it on there and forget about it until my thermometer tells me we have hit 200. Let it rest and then pull it apart. My wife does not like pork and she can't get enough of this when I make it. Generally takes about 12 hours depending up on size of shoulder.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the rub recipe I use on my pork butts and they turn out amazing every time. Never had a complaint anyways. Like everyone else said I rub the butt down with mustard and then coat it in the rub at least a day prior to smoking and put it in the fridge.. Pull it out a few hours prior to smoking and let it get close to room temp and in the smoker it goes. I normally smoke at 225 low and slow for about 14-16 hrs but the last one I did I ran short on time and smoked it at 275-300 for about 12 hrs and it turned out just as good I thought. Only time I opened the smoker door cause it was freezing out was to pull it out to wrap it in foil when the internal was around 160 degrees. Get er to 195ish and throw er in a cooler wrapped in a towel for 2 hrs and shred and enjoy. I've brined butts for a day or two before smoking and it just doesn't seem to do much for me so I go without now. Also have injected them with concoctions of apple juice and Worcestershire etc. and I think I'll skip that from now on too. They're just as good without brining or injecting to me.

1/4 cup paprika
1/8 cup black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1-2 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup brown sugar​

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good old salt and pepper is my rub of choice, maybe a couple of garlic cloves, a onion cut in half, smoked meat on and off since about 1970,but nothing wrong with my good old crockpot

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for you experienced meat smokers. (I see a joke there). I have 4lb pork shoulder. I'm told at 225 it's 1 hour per pound. That ring true? Or should I expect much longer time to hit that 190 mark for shredding?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would cook till temp hits 205. It will shred much better. 4 hours sounds about right if the meat is at room temp before cooking.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for you experienced meat smokers. (I see a joke there). I have 4lb pork shoulder. I'm told at 225 it's 1 hour per pound. That ring true? Or should I expect much longer time to hit that 190 mark for shredding?

4 hours sounds pretty quick to me... i've had 2 hour stalls... i cook 2 that size at a time on the traeger @ 225 and figure 8 to 10 hours...

fwiw, i cook to 203, then foil, then wrap and rest for 2 hours b4 pulling...

good luck...

- - - Updated - - -

that's letting set on the counter for 1 hour after pulling out of the fridge... i wash, trim, season, and wrap tight in plastic the day b4...

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
K thanks guys. Gonna give it a try tomorrow but have some scheduling issues so was curious

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone go with pork loin ? I use pepper jerky mix for a rub and throw in a zip lock with a glug of BBq sauce leave in fridge for 2 or 3 days then slice thin and pan fry in hot cast iron with a dash of liquid smoke , Slap it in a slice of bread and yum.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone go with pork loin ? I use pepper jerky mix for a rub and throw in a zip lock with a glug of BBq sauce leave in fridge for 2 or 3 days then slice thin and pan fry in hot cast iron with a dash of liquid smoke , Slap it in a slice of bread and yum.

i smoke a couple every summer, but they seem to get too dry... they make great hash and tacos though...

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member

No, but I do slice them an inch thick, pound them out to the size of a dinner plate, soak in buttermilk, dredge in highly seasoned flour and deep fry, kaiser roll, lettuce, tomato and sweet onions and homemade chipotle mayo and fresh cut fries.

You're method sounds good, it cooks quickly so it does not dry out I would think- and probably a bit healthier!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93