Smoked Tomatoes

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a bunch of tomatoes in the freezer from last year so I threw a couple in the smoker and was surprised how good they were.
I made mini batches of salsa and BBQ sauce out of them. It was good on a small scale so I just threw a bunch more in , anyone else smoked them and what did you make out of them. The first thing I thought of was clamato but I didn't have a beer handy.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really stupid question....I assume you thaw them before smoking? I've got a freezer from last year as well.

Temp/duration?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have been smoking tomato for salsa for a few years. Adds a little I think

When the salsa gets a little to watery I strain off the excess liquid and keep that for having a "Red Beer." Adds a better kick than just tomato juice.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really stupid question....I assume you thaw them before smoking? I've got a freezer from last year as well.

Temp/duration?
I didn't even thaw them, threw them in frozen and smoked them with apple wood for about 5 hours @ 275 degrees.

I made a beer run and sipping on a red beer , it's pretty darn good.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't even thaw them, threw them in frozen and smoked them with apple wood for about 5 hours @ 275 degrees.

I made a beer run and sipping on a red beer , it's pretty darn good.
Thanks Davey! What sheet/container type did you use? Looking to learn from your experience. I will be doing this in the near future, especially if you just threw them on frozen!

I'm a salsa/hotsauce maker and this will add amazing unique flavor!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ordered a variety pack of those disposable tinfoil baking pans for like 20 bucks, There were 30 large ones that fit perfect in the smoker. But I realized that 5 hours @ 275 isn't long enough for a big batch. The first ones were 2 each in 2 smaller tins and the skin just dissolved and really thickened the mixture when I stirred it. Also when test tasting the outer skin had such a good flavor.

This batch I poured off the juice and used a fork to stir and noticed skin that wasn't dissolved and the the taste isn't as good so I'm gonna throw it back in the smoker tomorrow for a few hours.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
This year I'll be trying something with our tomato skins. I'm going to smoke them, and then dehydrate them and grind them into a powder. I've read that dehydrating and grinding them and using them like salt/pepper adds a ton of flavor to foods. gonna give it a try.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I gave my sister, who had a little hole in the wall bar a couple ice cream pails of cherry tomatoes. Told her to put on the bar for " do it yourself" bloody mary's. Went over real well cause tomatoes didn't last long. LB

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut my tomatoes in half put olive oil on them. Then put {good shit seasoning} you can get it at Ace Hardware in Bismarck. Smoke them @ 220 for 2 1/2 hours

Bluenoser

This year I'll be trying something with our tomato skins. I'm going to smoke them, and then dehydrate them and grind them into a powder. I've read that dehydrating and grinding them and using them like salt/pepper adds a ton of flavor to foods. gonna give it a try.
I'm curious if you have followed through with this idea, and how did it turn out? We just finished processing 30lbs of romas for sauce, and was wondering if there was a better way to utilize the skins from the tomatoes besides throwing them into the compost. I know that you can make smoked paprika from red bell peppers, so why not the tomato skins. Please let me know.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife and I starting smoking our salsa a couple years ago won’t ever not smoke it again! Everybody that has tried it loves the smokey flavor. The first year we just used a disposable aluminum pan, but people say you’re not supposed use aluminum pans when making salsa. I think it’s called an enamel pan that we use now. I will say the first year we put it straight on the smoker until it boiled and then simmer for a couple hours. The smoke flavor was pretty strong, so now we boil it on the stove and then transfer it to the smoker for a couple hours stirring occasionally. Much milder smoke flavor.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wondered about just slicing tomatoes, put on racks and then maybe dehydrate them. Maybe smoke for 3-5 hrs ? Use in stews, hot dish etc.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I cold smoke the sliced peppers with a smoke tube for an hour or so to get the smokey flavor,.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
You ever try this? Curious.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry fellas, I never did get around to trying this. Was really hoping to, but life just gets in the way. If anyone does it, I am curious to hear how it turns out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34