Snobears and active perch

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I understood English but now....IDK??

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the way my ice fishing has been going lately for perch I am cutting a piece of Styrofoam this weekend

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not the stariofoam. You guys that didn't know in the first place how to wait till the perch had the minnow in his mouth before you set the hook have done a good job of educating them. Used to be able to tie a 30# steel leader with a long shank hook and a minnow on chalk line with a bobber the size of a tennis ball and catch perch all day long. Now they spit out a waxie when they feel a spring bobber.

I was sort of joking but there is no doubt in my mind that perch were way easier to catch once upon a time. Anybody that fished much in the 60s will know what I am talking about.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was sort of joking but there is no doubt in my mind that perch were way easier to catch once upon a time. Anybody that fished much in the 60s will know what I am talking about.

I remember going up to Long Lake in the '50's with Dad, my brother and a neighbor friend to fish for yellow perch. Either there was no limit or Dad didn't pay any attention. We just used gold hooks with no bait on the hook. We had a gunny sack tied to the side of the boat. When we quit the gunny sack was full - I think we had around 500 perch.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember going up to Long Lake in the '50's with Dad, my brother and a neighbor friend to fish for yellow perch. Either there was no limit or Dad didn't pay any attention. We just used gold hooks with no bait on the hook. We had a gunny sack tied to the side of the boat. When we quit the gunny sack was full - I think we had around 500 perch.

unless you were lucky and had to go to school you probably cleaned perch for two days. There wasn't a limit on perch until sometime in the 80s or maybe even the early 90s ?? They were considered a Non game fish and when they were biting it was hard to go home. I remember pulling a two dayer on Devils Lake that ended with a pile of frozen perch as big as a huge muskrat house ,by the time I finally had them all cleaned 3 days later I vowed to never catch that many fish at one time ever again. You jarred my memory about gunny sacks, I'd sort of forgotten how important they used to be. They were a coveted prize possession that was always hung high so the squirrels and mice couldn't get into them, Anything that had a hole went in the gunny sack with a hole that was full of gunny sacks with holes and used for muskrat trapping to cover/plug the opening. Now my wife collects them , Depends on the advertising some are worth a little coin. I made a seat cover for my 31 chevy with flour sacks that have advertising and I assume are made from hemp. Kind of crazy what used to be important to survive back then compared to what is important to survive now days

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gunny sacks are awesome, not so much when filled with fish that need a cleaning. :(

I know what you mean about the perch, I didn't fish them often as a kid back in the 70s, but when we did they were the easiest damn things to catch on the planet. Only a northern on patrol under the dock would shut them down.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember catching fish on an old stick, thick black tipup line wrapped around a couple nails to a big bell sinker and then a steel leader with a big plain hook on the end. Had a heavy old electric auger that used a pair of jumper cables hooked to the truck and took about 5 minutes to get one hole drilled. Used the old heavy weight and walk back wards from the hole to check the depth. Then watch and wait for a fish to pull the tennis ball sized red and white bobber under. It's a wonder we ever caught anything back then.....

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
unless you were lucky and had to go to school you probably cleaned perch for two days. There wasn't a limit on perch until sometime in the 80s or maybe even the early 90s ?? They were considered a Non game fish and when they were biting it was hard to go home. I remember pulling a two dayer on Devils Lake that ended with a pile of frozen perch as big as a huge muskrat house ,by the time I finally had them all cleaned 3 days later I vowed to never catch that many fish at one time ever again. You jarred my memory about gunny sacks, I'd sort of forgotten how important they used to be. They were a coveted prize possession that was always hung high so the squirrels and mice couldn't get into them, Anything that had a hole went in the gunny sack with a hole that was full of gunny sacks with holes and used for muskrat trapping to cover/plug the opening. Now my wife collects them , Depends on the advertising some are worth a little coin. I made a seat cover for my 31 chevy with flour sacks that have advertising and I assume are made from hemp. Kind of crazy what used to be important to survive back then compared to what is important to survive now days

We set an assembly line in the old Ag Shop and cleaned all of them!

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The last truly "stupid" perch bite I remember was the original Alkaline bite 20 or so years ago.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know what you mean about the perch, I didn't fish them often as a kid back in the 70s, but when we did they were the easiest damn things to catch on the planet. Only a northern on patrol under the dock would shut them down.

We should be able to learn from our mistakes , Where did we really go wrong ?

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Had a great weekend perch fishing with my son. Wind was crazy on friday only picked up 16 perch would have done better but my round styrofoam blow off the holes. Saturday the wind went down to 25 and did much better had 36 in 4 hours. Damn wish i had one of them Snow Bears too.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a great weekend perch fishing with my son. Wind was crazy on friday only picked up 16 perch would have done better but my round styrofoam blow off the holes. Saturday the wind went down to 25 and did much better had 36 in 4 hours. Damn wish i had one of them Snow Bears too.

Pics or it didn't happen :icegif:

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last truly "stupid" perch bite I remember was the original Alkaline bite 20 or so years ago.

After that came the perch limit as garbage men were finding cans filled with uncleaned fish.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Pics or it didn't happen :icegif:
ya right see your album is full with all your fishing pics like saying your a engineer. Prove it our it not so.

- - - Updated - - -

I had my camera in 32 feet of water on black tiger bay next to the submerged road I could see the gravel easily without turning on my led lights this was under my portable flip over. It was also clear skies I see I guy can pick up a snobear for around 26000 but most likely no trailer. Oh well someday I will own a snobear since I work long hours though the summer months the old starcraft will be just fine.
Pics or it did not happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Lunkerslayer just having fun you look familiar fish up your way alot at devils and stump. The perch i had were ok biggest 9-12'' not worthy of pics sorry. .

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No worries I am glad you found some perch that were hungry that's all that matters to me. Went north up to alice did ok 8 eyes and and 8 slough sharks my brother and I 20180304_151028.jpg

dragoneyes

Honored Member
looks like the American Angler is going to have a work out. Wish i new how to filet pike tried more than once i really suck at it, even after watching videos.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I carry enough crap and removing a cover while fighting a fish sounds like extra distractions. If I have wondered about light issues I just kick barely enough slush in the hole to cut the light. Easy to pull fish out and still able to punch a lure through

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like the American Angler is going to have a work out. Wish i new how to filet pike tried more than once i really suck at it, even after watching videos.

I'm no expert either but it's getting easier every time. Instead of trying to debone half the fish at once I take the skin off then I cut fillets into smaller pieces and attack them from the end .

removing+pike+y-bones2.gif

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31