Some bad ice

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ripping raps must be a hell of a trigger to fish since I have caught multiple carp on them. Not sure what it is but if it can make crap aggressive imagine what it does to bass and walleyes!

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by DirtyMike I know I've moved on when I start looking at open water tackle.
I have also started to mentally prepare. My wallet is starting to open for the next season.

Gee if I guy only had a Wilcraft . Bet that would be handy .

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
south of makoti is hiddenwood not cottonwood unless there is another
there is a cottonwood north of butte but that's not mclean county.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is only February 3 winter is not even close to being done. There will be plenty of good ice fishing to come.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. Don't start getting spring fever yet. No ice problems where I've been fishing.

That very will could be true and especially up in your area but down here in Bismarck and the guys further to the south and west we are getting into some shady territory. We have 40's scattered throughout the foreseeable future and so we are looking at at best maybe maintaining the ice we have now and very possibly losing some of the ice we have now. And therein lies the problem because we don't have enough ice to be able give up any without taking out vehicle traffic for starters. The ice out there is just not there this year and we are running out of time to put on more before spring sets in in force. I for one could care less at this point if the ice goes its been a sketchy year with bad ice and uncooperative fish. So for me its bring on open water and the higher metabolism rate that that will bring! All hail the long rod!;:;bowdown

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the days are numbered. I think it sucks as I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I would have liked, but I look forward to warmer temps too. Our issues are is we have minimal snow cover, we are in a drought pattern, and as we go into February the suns rays will continue to intensify. If we get some seriously cold temps in the next two weeks it may salvage the season, but it would appear that's not going to happen.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soft water will get here in due time. I love spring and summer as much as the next guy but personally, March ice fishing is hard to beat! Caught one of my largest eyes walking onto the lake in late March. But yeah, I think I can almost feel your pain you southern banana belt fishermen reading about your ice conditions this year.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was gonna post something last night at...telling you crazy mofo's to stay safe and off the ice...really unstable crazy temps lately.
To each his own and if you like playing russian roulette with your truck...have at it......lol.....

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been out fishing quite a bit. White Earth Bay, Lake Darling, and Canada. The ice where we have fished has been 17"-18" That depth doesn't leave much room for any loss without it being trouble. Looking to spear a little bit on sak coming up if the ice is decent. Be careful with the weather we are supposed to have as it's real different this year. Spooky for winter. Oh and the fishing hasn't been very good this season no matter where we explore. Come on spring and boat fishing!!!:cool:

Fish On!

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on a body of water that had 18" 2 weeks ago and last weekend was down to 13", those are honest actual tape measurements, I've never seen ice lose 4-5" in a week, spooky. And of course there was tracks on it from previous outings and so many were still driving on it, foolish. It was popping and cracking sooo bad out there you could just feel it.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the days are numbered. I think it sucks as I haven't gotten out nearly as much as I would have liked, but I look forward to warmer temps too. Our issues are is we have minimal snow cover, we are in a drought pattern, and as we go into February the suns rays will continue to intensify. If we get some seriously cold temps in the next two weeks it may salvage the season, but it would appear that's not going to happen.

Yeah without the snow we definitely can put on more ice much faster but like you said that doesn't look to be in the forcast yet. Unfortunately that leaves us with the flip side of that equation where the sun is able to penetrate the ice and warm the sunken islands and points causing hidden land mines all over the lake. I have a feeling the dodge in this thread won't be the last one to go down in a spot where most people would have thought they were fine.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1454549780047.jpg

Another one went down tonight at audobon I guess

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2