Sous Vide

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am very interested in trying out a Sous vide. What is everyone going with, the full unit or just the heating/ circulating wand? I know there is a large $ difference. Mostly will be used for game and meats.

racksntails

I've got the wand circulator heater unit I think it was like $110. I have used it a bunch for elk, deer, beef, moose and chile infused vodka for Bloody Mary's. I really like it.

gunship

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 800W Strata Sous Vide from Monoprice.com for $50 (on sale) and have been very happy with it. As far as I can tell it does the same thing as the products on Amazon that are twice the price. I only use it for salmon and steaks, but it's a pretty fool-proof way to cook a cut of meat to perfection.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it just to try it without the wand or anything. I put 160 degree water into a small yeti that was somewhat preheated and let it sit for about 2 hours. The temp dropped to 154-155 when i put the steaks in which is what i was shooting for. After the 2 hours i seared them quick on a cast iron pan and they turned out awesome! I would highly recommend this way if someone did not want to spend the monies on a system but wanted to try it out.

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Anova wand and works great. Just used it last night to cook chicken to 150 degrees. I have the bluetooth and wifi models but have yet to use those features and wouldn't spend money for them.

gunship

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're supposed to cook in a cooler? I didn't know that. I just use a standard kitchen pot.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
me too. but, so far, i haven't done anything in the 24-48 hour range. i suppose it helps the machine from having to work too hard if you put it in something that holds heat a bit better than a metal pot.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never realized there was an actual name for it but this is what I do when I make duck confit. So freaking good.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks all, pulled the trigger on the Anova blue tooth. WiFi would be nice at times but reviews were really negative with hookup / signal loss.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30