Spearing house

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looked for previous posts but didn't find what I'm looking for. Does anyone have plans for a spearing house. If not drawings I'm looking for size for 2-4 people, mostly 2. Location of hole, built in seating or chairs, heater location and door accessability. Want it as light as possible so will be using 2X2 walls and foam insulation.

Any suggestions will be helpful. Googled the question and found none I liked as most of those ideas were coming out of state. Someone here has to have a better idea than what I found there. Thanks for any suggestions.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Search "Gator Giggin'" and you should find a thread about a spear shack I built. Take a look and if you have questions let me know. It's OK for 2 people, but DEFINITELY NOT for 4. Two folks can sit side by side at the hole and spear with the heater at the far wall behind you. Any closer and you cook. I use chairs so if you are by yourself you can put one outside. It's light enough for me to move around a little bit, but heavy enough to keep the wind at bay. Watch out for being too light as the wind can push mine over and it has. Early ice I use ice anchors to keep it in place as glare ice works for moving, but not so well for staying.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've built a couple. Each has been "unique". The first one was a 6x8 with an old pop up camper trailer bolted to the side. Light enough where I could tip it over onto the wheels and hook up and go, with the truck or ATV, and then tip it back up when I got to the spot. Worked awesome. I had a central hole with door on the back side of the house from the trailer. Could fit 4 people easily, 5 if needed. I heated it with a Nu-Way vented propane stove.

The last one was an old gas shack from the patch. I think it was about 5x7. 2" thick walls were fiberglass with a layer of insulation in between. Heated it with a bic lighter haha. Door was set in already when I bought it, it was on the side. Hole went on one end of it and had a good amount of room for 2 guys, but wouldn't want to try 3. Light enough and small enough I could tip it up into a pickup bed and move it around. If I had more time to spear, I feel like that was close to the ultimate lightweight permy house. But no time, so I sold it.

Building out of wood, weight adds up very fast, especially treated wood for the floor. If I built another one, unless I was for sure going to have 3 or more people in it most of the time, I would go as small as I could for 2 people. Probably a 4x6 or so with hole on one end and door on the other end. Fold up chairs so you can take one out if by yourself and have more room. Heater is kind of an issue with that setup. I'd probably go with a small buddy heater mounted higher up on the wall with a small battery fan above it blowing hot air down.

If you want to bring a bunch of guys out for a day, buy a clam 6pack (or similar) pop up house and spear out of that.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've built a couple. Each has been "unique". The first one was a 6x8 with an old pop up camper trailer bolted to the side. Light enough where I could tip it over onto the wheels and hook up and go, with the truck or ATV, and then tip it back up when I got to the spot. Worked awesome. I had a central hole with door on the back side of the house from the trailer. Could fit 4 people easily, 5 if needed. I heated it with a Nu-Way vented propane stove.

The last one was an old gas shack from the patch. I think it was about 5x7. 2" thick walls were fiberglass with a layer of insulation in between. Heated it with a bic lighter haha. Door was set in already when I bought it, it was on the side. Hole went on one end of it and had a good amount of room for 2 guys, but wouldn't want to try 3. Light enough and small enough I could tip it up into a pickup bed and move it around. If I had more time to spear, I feel like that was close to the ultimate lightweight permy house. But no time, so I sold it.

Building out of wood, weight adds up very fast, especially treated wood for the floor. If I built another one, unless I was for sure going to have 3 or more people in it most of the time, I would go as small as I could for 2 people. Probably a 4x6 or so with hole on one end and door on the other end. Fold up chairs so you can take one out if by yourself and have more room. Heater is kind of an issue with that setup. I'd probably go with a small buddy heater mounted higher up on the wall with a small battery fan above it blowing hot air down.

If you want to bring a bunch of guys out for a day, buy a clam 6pack (or similar) pop up house and spear out of that.

That would be my vote also I have speared with 4 people in an eskimo 949. It was tight but we made it work. outside temps were in the upper 20's that day so we didnt even put a heater inside with us

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been in pop-up houses and would prefer a darker atmosphere. Other than that pop-up worked fine. Already have one of those. Perhaps I'm not improving my situation enough to make it worthwhile.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been in pop-up houses and would prefer a darker atmosphere. Other than that pop-up worked fine. Already have one of those. Perhaps I'm not improving my situation enough to make it worthwhile.

have you been in an insulated eskimo popup? Not sure on the other brand popups, but the insulated eskimos have black material on the inside. Was spearing in one last year and it seemed pretty dark to me, however my spearing experience is limited.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
have you been in an insulated eskimo popup? Not sure on the other brand popups, but the insulated eskimos have black material on the inside. Was spearing in one last year and it seemed pretty dark to me, however my spearing experience is limited.

Not insulated but it was a 4X8 black material with a plastic black floor and factory hole for spearing. Don't know the brand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 66
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 24