State Pen

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read about this the other day and wondered what the heck is going on in there. Sounds like they are treating the inmates like some parents are treating their children. The children/inmates are running the place!
The article i read also said they aren't to call them inmates any longer and are suppose to call them "residents" if i remember right.
Our Country is going down the shit chute and fast.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the inmates are enjoying their stay and calling it camp snoopy that alone should be a pretty good clue that the new system if flawed

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the inmates are enjoying their stay and calling it camp snoopy that alone should be a pretty good clue that the new system if flawed

That new Warden I believe is to blame for the down fall of the prison system. Yes they are inmates and you treat them as such. Guards socialzing with them is wrong. It is in there job discription not to socials with them.

weakstream

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure hope none of you ever have a friend or family member go to prison. It is not all that and a bag of chips. Other than those that are sentenced to life will be released into the community. Socializing and respect is an important piece rehabilitation. Although they have broken the law they are still humans and should be treated as such. Educate yourselves please!!!

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
So lets be super duper nice and make their stay as comfortable as possible?! Wtf man this isnt a frickin hotel. Isnt the point of prison to make people re-think their actions so they dont have to go back?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I talked to a guard at the women's prison in new England. The sociizing can be a tool to rehabilitating. Sometimes these guys are the only ones who hear what these inmates really have to say. Imo the guards and inmates might benefit from some counseling training so they can try helping some of these inmates. Talking with guy really changed my pov about the prison system

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure hope none of you ever have a friend or family member go to prison. It is not all that and a bag of chips. Other than those that are sentenced to life will be released into the community. Socializing and respect is an important piece rehabilitation. Although they have broken the law they are still humans and should be treated as such. Educate yourselves please!!!

nope

and if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't expect them to get coddled

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good friend who's a guard at the state penn for over 20 years. Actually took my wife and I on a tour once.

Anyhow, his stance (and he has seen pretty much everything you can imagine, and a lot more) is that they are people. Yup, they're locked up, and some are real POS, but they are still people. Nearly all of them are going to be released some day, and you want them to be better when they get out, than when they went in.

If you simply lock them in a room for a year or two or ten or fifty, then let them go and figure they're all better, you got your head in the sand.

I'm all for keeping illegal things illegal, and stiff penalties, etc. But just putting them in a room for a long period of time, then letting them go? I'm told that that makes them worse.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is a difference between coddled and being treated as a human being. That being said I do see a benefit to jailers having training in how to best treat inmates. Changing the name doesn't change their identity. Most will get out of jail and having some skills to fit back into society is best for everyone. Being respectful doesn't mean they have to be buddy-buddy. I view it similar to the teacher/student scenario. They can sit and talk but there is always that line between time which should not be crossed by either. It's called respect and both sides are responsible for establishing that respect.

A hardened criminal coming out of jail will most likely end up back in. To go back in means they have hurt someone either physically or in some other matter such as stealing from them. Just about all crimes mean someone has been wronged.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shouldn't being sent to prison and any tough conditions it may entail LESSEN the impulse to do something that will send you there in the first place? I do understand that people get out and hopefully can readjust to life outside of prison so having programs and such in place while in prison might help but yet there has to be some consequences of doing stuff which should make you think twice before doing them so a person doesn't commit them in the first place.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't turn the article and details in the article into the broad viewpoint of something like Rehabilitation VS Solitary Confinement.

IMO the biggest take away from the article is the administration is more concerned about the performance and metrics on paper than the health, safety, and well being of the employees. Fudging numbers and stats to make themselves or their specific system look like it is succeeding.

However, there are two sides to every story and anonymous sources lack some creditability.

Director of NDDOC is a Governor appointed position. Sounds like he needs to do his own review of the department

weakstream

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a person that has worked with offenders for over 20 years I can attest that treating offenders with respect is beneficial to their rehabilitation. 90% of them will be released into the community. The corrections officers should interact with the inmates and should be a role model for them as well. Treatment programs and humane living conditions are a vital component to get them ready for their release. Draconian thinking that offenders should be isolated, limited interaction other than with offenders and offered no programs to help them succeed will only make there return to the community a disaster. Just because you make bad choices in life does not mean you should be treated as subhuman. Most of the offenders do not have support systems or good role models in their lives so it is vital they are offered at least some sort of encouragement/interaction from those that are suppose to help them. Try spending a few nights in jail and see how comforting it is. It is not what you think. Please educate yourselves. The world would be a better place if you would.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I missed the part where people were advocating isolation, abuse, and no programs. Maybe educating myself should include a remedial course in reading and comprehension. Thanks for the sage advise.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prison/jail is a punishment for something done illegally. Period. Potential criminals need to fear prison. Many do not. I have several friends that work in law enforcement in different areas. I am told that many want to get arrested because prison is better than their daily lives. They get a bed and 3 meals a day. Prison is not suppose to be easy...it is suppose to deter other potential criminals. I understand they are humans but it is not the guards issue to rehabilitate them. Guards should be cordial and professional and that's it. There should be some other source of counseling available. When you commit a crime you need to understand you are not going to the Hilton. There should also be more separation of criminals. Meaning hardened, rough, nasty crime criminals in one institution and lesser crime committers in an easier facility. There has been talk about having a prison just for drug offenders. Most are not violent just addicted etc.
But again...due to our liberal society many 'offenders" do not fear prison. We all should!

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the crime you do the time. I'm not going to feel sorry for inmates, they made a conscious decision to violate the law. Are all criminals the same..no. If they commit murder, rape, child abuse...those f*ckers can all rot in prison. Guys who are in for drug offenses, being late on child support, or theft they might be rehabilitated and be productive members of society some day and may benefit from some interactions from correction officers. They have to want to change for the better though, all the counseling and sweet talking won't do squat if they don't want to change their ways.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have spoken with more than one previous "resident" of the various correctional systems and they ALL say a variant of this thought. They all would rather spend over a year in the pen than 6 months in county jail. All of them say if you do something illegal, make sure you do it "bad" enough to get over a year so you can go to the pen. I didn't take this as a good thing, but there it is.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33