Structural insulated panels (SIPS)

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m considering using these for a shed build. I’ve been reading the pros and cons. I’m looking for real world local experiences with these VS traditional building materials and spray foam.

Uncle Rico

I used them on my 32x50 shop about 5 years ago. So far, no complaints although you will want to have a plan in place if you see a future need for hanging things on the walls since there are no wall studs. The building is very efficient. No clue if i'll ever make up the extra cost for the panels.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve built many houses with them. They are very quick and easy to put up. And are insanely energy efficient. But very spendy now.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone's "shed" is different than my definition of a shed.

I have nothing better to add than that.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG_4851 (002).jpgIMG_4853 (002).jpgIMG_4854.jpg

I made my fish house out of them. Wall and roof are the same. 4 x 7 and 4 inches thick.Resized_20161129_115249.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You will need some sort of air exchanger because if you fart in one it will last a week, unless your in to that. The ones I have worked with you could heat with a match and cool with an ice cube. LB

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes air exchangers are required. Otherwise known as heat recovery ventilators (HRV’s)

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve built many houses with them. They are very quick and easy to put up. And are insanely energy efficient. But very spendy now.

How spendy are they? Compared to normal studs and fiberglass insulation? This would be for a shop.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
How spendy are they? Compared to normal studs and fiberglass insulation? This would be for a shop.

I had my garage built with SIPS a few years ago, used a company in SD to make the panels- Enercept is the name of it. They were really good to work with, I think I had to put a few hundred or so down and gave them some drawings of what I wanted, then I worked with their engineers to finish the final design. At that point they gave me the cost of the materials. I think my deposit went toward the cost then, if you decide not to do it then they keep the deposit for their design time. Was a really good company to work with, I think at that time the cost to stick build was a little cheaper compared to the SIPs, not sure how it compares now. Bonus about the SIPs is it only took the builder 2 days to have the entire structure stuck together.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the panel houses I’ve built have been enercept panels. You’ll have close to double the price of normal wall framing costs. But you’ll have 1/4 the labor and a stronger and much more energy efficient wall.

- - - Updated - - -

My best friend just ordered a panel set for his new home. He has full gable walls so it’s a little bit more than just straight 8’ walls. His panels on a 164 lineal foot house came to $124 a lineal foot. They have gone up immensely like everything else

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 50
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 17