SUV recomendations

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Jack this is the info we are looking for. All the ratings we read always put the CRV as #1 or #2 consistently overall and mileage sounds good too.
We have the EX-L model and AWD. It has the sun/moon roof that opens. We don't use that much but came with the package. We put grips tires on it all the way around this winter and it worked great. I think the Chevy one might set higher and might be bigger. The Honda CRV works good with my neck and back problems getting in and out and we looked at alot of them.
If going to shop here at Bismarck Motors talk with George Anderson. Great guy and listens to what you ask and what you are looking for. Doesn't press you at all. He is the one that pointed us towards the CRV and like i said it works great for me with my shot body.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got her turn in date for the jetta march 7 and have been looking a lot and she did a couple test drives and salesman talks and now have things narrowed down to two.
She did a very quick test drive of the Honda CRV just to get a feel for the comfort level of it. And there is a Subaru Forester on the lot that fits the bill for every option she is looking for with similar fuel mileage and the right price but have not driven it yet.
Once we tell people how we use them and we run them to near 300K the salesmen A Bismarck motor company said the Honda CRV is the only thing they seel they would recommend for her needs.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Done deal "almost", just put a deposit down on a 2017 Honda CRV so it doesn't get sold before the car return happens march 7. Works out good because its the same dealer that sells the VW too so it was easy to work out a deposit to hold deal lol.
Drove the Subaru forester this morning was nicer than I expected from my previous subaru experience but rough riding and choppy feeling every single road crack was very prominant throughout the cab and rather hard seats.
Next went over and test drove the CRV I had found and instantly fell in love with it, its really quiet way way way more comfy has more options more refined felt like it had more power for a larger vehicle with a smaller engine than the subaru, Subaru had a 2.5 litre and this honda has a 1.5 l turbo engine, mileage rating is about even to a mile per gallon higher on the Honda.

Last edited:

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish you would have liked the forester. I could have sold you a brand new Forester Touring for just under $31k. Really can't go wrong with the Honda or the Subaru, both vehicles should last a lifetime if properly maintained.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have had these and so far the 2 that fit your MPG are the Rogue and Mazda. to drive my favorite are the mazda, Nissan and jeep
2001 jeep grand Cherokee-still have
2004? Chrysler pacifica
2013 Nissan rogue
2015 Mazda CX5

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have they fixed the radio in the newer Foresters? We have a 2011. Moonroof, heated seats. And the heated wipers are fantastic for winter. Very quick steering car, fun to drive. Probably the only manual transmission newer awd cars around. Great in snow. Nice not having to fight traction control of most newer vehicles. Wife got hit head on by a one ton Ford with her 2009 Forester and came out in good shape. But the radio in both of these cars sounded like a transistor radio from the 70's.

BUCK83

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have improved quite a bit, up until 2016 the radios were junk. They do offer a Harmon Kardon radio upgrade in certain models but the standard radio is vastly superior to previous models.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, how do you like your new car?

Other than the test drive I have not driven or even ridden in it, she took ownership of it last Tuesday afternoon and she is liking it more every day and learning all the options and features it has is overwhelming. The last few days in the snow and ice around town she is happy with how it is handling the conditions. I started going through the manual and am totally amazed at the safety features and other options that can make one really lazy while driving, This is as close to an autonomous car as I want to see on the road, thing will actually near drive itself and does take control depending on the safety feature that's in use. I have Friday off and need to run to town for some errands and am going to trade vehicles with the wife for the day so I can get some time behind the wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

We have had these and so far the 2 that fit your MPG are the Rogue and Mazda. to drive my favorite are the mazda, Nissan and jeep
2001 jeep grand Cherokee-still have
2004? Chrysler pacifica
2013 Nissan rogue
2015 Mazda CX5

For the longevity and reliability aspect and since we tend to keep out vehicles for well over 200K miles and the roads we travel which includes a lot of gravel was the only reason we shied away from the Rogue since we didn't get real fuzzy warm feelings from anyone for our intended use that the Rogue would have been up to the task long term. I would have most definitely looked at the Mazda but it was an automatic disqualified since we have no local mazda dealership.

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ford Edge with the ecoboost, that 2.7 ecoboost does really well with those suv's, with the pickups, well not my favorite

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was no comparable American brand within our price constraints for the options we wanted, not even close, one can easily see the UAW influence of the American brand pricing versus the others and for no better quality either.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88