Tagged fish?

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught my first tagged eye this spring. I called it in and got the info, somewhere on my puter. I have heard that the G&F might be looking to manage the fishery more similar to South Dakota. I heard there is consideration of a slot limit!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught 4 tagged paddlefish in the tailrace last summer. The tags were crimped around the bottom jaw, they were too covered with algea to read and i didnt want to get caught with a paddlefish bouncing around the bottom of my boat while i tried to clean them off.

I didn't see the tag at first, because I had another one on my other rod. I left the fish in the bottom of the boat with the crank still in its mouth. By the time I got back to the fish with the tag, he was bleeding, and the crank got hooked on the tag and pulled it out of his lip. But I may let the next one go, if I can get a good pic of the tag.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a ND fish, but I caught one on Erie this spring. I was very surprised when I got the info back on it and it was a 16 year old male. It had been banded 9 years ago when it was 21 inches. Pretty cool.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have got a few tags on the Missouri from fox to state line in the last two years now, last time at hazelton my uncles buddy caught 3 of them, being from colorado he was pretty excited, we haven't collected a bounty yet though. I didn't get info on the first two we called in, but the ones we did online did come quickly.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Greenie, thats a pretty cool catch! How long was it roughly when you caught it? Would be interesting to know how much it grew in that time.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught one with a SD phone number 2-3 years ago. Called in, got an answering machine. Seems like a good program for $500,000.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Greenie, thats a pretty cool catch! How long was it roughly when you caught it? Would be interesting to know how much it grew in that time.

They said it was 21" when they banded it and was only 23" when I caught it. Not much growth for 9 years. Of course it was a male so I don't think they get much bigger than that.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have caught 2 tagged walleyes and two tagged crappies in nd. It is fun to catch them and get the history of the tags and stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

They said it was 21" when they banded it and was only 23" when I caught it. Not much growth for 9 years. Of course it was a male so I don't think they get much bigger than that.

Males get bigger than 23 inch. I have seen them much bigger on large lakes.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
One tagged walleye for me from the Tailrace. It was a 16 inch female when tagged and was 18 inches when I caught it 6 months later about a hundred yards from where it was tagged. Didn't notice the tag until it was on the cleaning table. Darn near threw the tag down the grinder when I noticed it. It was part of that joint study with SD.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just caught one with a $100 reward stamped on it. It ha no phone number to call, do I contact ND GFP?

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind it went online n registered the tag on nd gf website. You have to take the tag in to get paid.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what the certificate looks like, and the tagged eye is the bottom fish.

21765-page-001.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first band I got by the 4-mile was banded in SD at the Grand River in 4/21/2015. Interesting

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first tag was a female caught at whitetail bay if feb 1990 she weighed 9.5 when tagged the year before, she added .75 when I caught her. I caught 3 from SD, 2 down by beaver area, 1 tailrace that traveled from SD to tailrace in one month. 7 from 1995 to 1998 caught south of bis. 4 caught with the mouth tags in the last 4 years. you would think the law of averages would give me one worth $100 but no.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only 1 in 20 of the current study have the $100, so by the law of averages, you need to catch 16 more tags to be n the wrong end of the law...lol

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read where they were releasing 4000 of the 10000 from Beaver Bay. So after next year that's 16000 tags released and 5% of those, or 800 are reward fish. It seems as though the SD ones are heading north, so the chances of catching a reward tag for the next 10 years is, well not real high percentage wise, but you never know.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddies' son caught a tagged fish yesterday. With these metal tags, I'm not sure you could get the number off it and release it. They are curved around on itself too much. You would have to spend considerable time to loosen it up, or take it off, then put it back on. I'll try to get the number and release the next one I catch, If I catch another, but not only if the fish will survive.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 58
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19