Tagged Walleye Slow Growth Rate

Fryerjj

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a tagged walleye this week in Beaver Bay on Oahe. The fish was released last April in Beaver Bay. It was 16 inches when released and 17 inches when I caught it. That seems like a slow growth rate to me in a year?

1dogdown

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that is pretty typical for walleyes in the northern lakes. The first couple of years they grow pretty rapidly but slow to about an inch a year after that. I have caught 5 banded walleye and they all grew 3/4"to 1 " in a year.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
An inch of growth in an adult fish per year is on the higher end of the bell curve, especially considering the length of the growing season in ND.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've noticed that too in the tagged fish I've caught. One even measured an inch shorter than when it was banded so I don't know how carefully they measure them. I know the last couple I've reported they don't even ask the size and I don't think that's a focus of the study...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're right, its not the focus of the study. I called one in last year and they didn't ask length. I tried to give them the length, but the guy said that's not what they are after. He said they couldn't be sure as to the accuracy of the general public measures, plus they were studying movements.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 inch being the norm for up here is not even close to correct especially for Walleyes under five years. Hell some of the lakes in the potholes are having fish in the 18 to 20 inche range by the end of their third summer. According to the guy at the game and fish i talked to our growth is a bit better thenow SD's. ND in not a northern area as far as walleyes go were far more central to suthern.

WoW-1.jpg

Last edited:

Fryerjj

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean,

My brother in-law operates a fish farm and by the end of year one most walleyes are 9 inches with plenty of food. Year two fish are around 15 inches and in the third year around 19 inches. Keep in mind this is with optimal food and no other predators in the growing ponds.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a tagged walleye this spring and it was 16 inches.....I reported the tag and the certificate said the walleye was 17 inches when it was tagged a year ago so I am a little skeptical about how precise or careful their measuring is.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean,

My brother in-law operates a fish farm and by the end of year one most walleyes are 9 inches with plenty of food. Year two fish are around 15 inches and in the third year around 19 inches. Keep in mind this is with optimal food and no other predators in the growing ponds.

Well maybe he should feed them more since their will brothers are keeping pace. The big fish in this pic is just over 18 and the big one of the day was at 20. The fish obviously get a boost being in a new lake but that should not be enough to keep pace with hatchery fish. There are two three year old fish and one likely two year old. Hell the perch are atleast six years old!

IMG_20160103_100153.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I'm not saying the oahe eyes aren't growing slow in the examples up top just saying an inch a year is not normal for here or oahe for that matter. Wonder if it's a lingering hangover from 11 since those are likely 09 year class fish that stalled in the 12 inch range for a few years.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 inch being the norm for up here is not even close to correct especially for Walleyes under five years. Hell some of the lakes in the potholes are having fish in the 18 to 20 inche range by the end of their third summer. According to the guy at the game and fish i talked to our growth is a bit better thenow SD's. ND in not a northern area as far as walleyes go were far more central to suthern.

Woman-drinking-coffee.jpg

That's an ENTIRELY different ball game.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
"You're not funny, leave good threads alone"

I was
trying to be "funny". :eek:

Feel free to PM me identifying all "good" threads.

- - - Updated - - -

I sent it back to him/her: Wasn't hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10