Talapia~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you eat this fish?sure seem to sell the shit out of this fish,they say its not only cheap but tastes good,well maybe these folks haven't had pan fried walleye or panfish?

Fact is this fish is a bottom feeder commercial fish farms use to help clean the alge and fish poop up rather than the big head and silver carp that are taking over our rivers in the midwest.

So if you enjoy eating talapia read this and think twice about another meal of this critter.

ishta.jpg

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Im not sure where to begin,,, but everything in that is false. Put facebook down my friend

- - - Updated - - -

Or is this a joke? If so, i fell for it

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eat it quite often. But have read a lot of different things about it that aren't so good. But I take it with a grain of salt. Hasn't rotted my unit off yet so can't be all bad

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recall reading somewhere that it's a fish that is highly efficient at converting vegetable feed to poundage (cheap to easy to grow and doesn't require meat-based food to raise them quickly)

They often encourage poor folk/countries to raise it because of this

and yes - that meme is full of crap

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eat it quite often. But have read a lot of different things about it that aren't so good. But I take it with a grain of salt. Hasn't rotted my unit off yet so can't be all bad

Get that damn engine together and go catch some walleye!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
You're either retarded, or funny....not sure yet

- - - Updated - - -

So what company did the tilapia business infringe upon? Been lots of false data being spread around social media about this fish. Or is it just hippie douches that don't eat gluten?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, pretty much of everything written in that picture is false. It is found in the wild and I use to raise them in a tank years before I found out that you could eat them. Fun fish. They are mouth brooders. I don't eat them because they don't taste good. And it does have bones and obviously skin as the picture shows.

HomeSlice

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey snow, i was out fishing with Al Lindner and Bill Dance and as we came around a bend i took this pic.
OR3PbodYk-xNwo03BxfZ9lLOZ02MGpoIv2HQN_EQbVY.jpg

Please like and share and use as your own;:;rofl
OR3PbodYk-xNwo03BxfZ9lLOZ02MGpoIv2HQN_EQbVY.jpg
7xm4rduy9v411.jpg

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had it before and made it myself just to try. Didn't think it was too bad myself. When buying some fish I look at where it was farm raised supposedly but prefer trying to get wild caught and even then I'm not sure it matters beings it's just labels.
By my research of them we can get them to survive our ice season they would be a plentiful betting fish in some lakes and should be very marketable in today's world

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I worked in a Tilapia fish farm during high school for many years. Never eaten one but it's a fish, how bad can it be? Is it any wprse than a coke, mountain dew, etc.... doubt it.

After all, didn't the world health organization once try to say red meat causes cancer? Also for the record, our fish farm didn't look anything like that. It was very, very clean.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't like them stocked in any lakes, but for pond raised fish, I'd be surprised if they were much different than farm raised catfish, striped bass, or any other mass produced fish.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're no better or worse than any other store bought fish that's not properly cleaned or frozen. Any fish fillets frozen with dark meat on them will taste like yesterday's
bait. Case in point, smelt. Store bought are mushy n smell like the inside of an ass. Fresh caught and or frozen thawed are firm and smell like crisp cold watermelon.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is ex governor Ed Schafer at whe you need an expert opinion?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA,

Where have you ever run across smelt for human consumption at a market?

All those bags of smelt they often sell/sold at grocery stores were all labled "not for human consumption".

Messing with you, aside. Fresh smelt out of Sakakawea are quite edible. I found I didn't like them much though once they were frozen, even if it was immediately frozen after being caught.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you eat this fish?sure seem to sell the shit out of this fish,they say its not only cheap but tastes good,well maybe these folks haven't had pan fried walleye or panfish?

Fact is this fish is a bottom feeder commercial fish farms use to help clean the alge and fish poop up rather than the big head and silver carp that are taking over our rivers in the midwest.

So if you enjoy eating talapia read this and think twice about another meal of this critter.

Screenshot_20190306-111538.jpg
Reading that graphic gave me grammar cancer.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with them if they are farmed right they taste great , The watermelon taste and smell that Multi mentioned. They grow fast on a shoestring compared to most fish and I think Ed had a great Idea but a poorly engineered System and a product that got a bum wrap from export reports from underdeveloped country exports where they raise chickens in pens above the fish and they fry up like yesterdays bait. They are tropical , In the wild they wouldn't survive the winters this far North

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I read a story about Farm raised tilapia in china and the comments were terrifying. I heard they feed the fish chicken shit and what ever other organic waste that they have around. I would not eat that fish form China or really any food product from China. I'll stick with eating the fish I catch.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just wanna know what started all the negativity and fake news toward it. What part of the industry's toes did tilapia step on?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28