Talapia~

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you dont like eating shit raised fish you sure should not eat turkey or chicken from the big farms. Birds that die are sent to a rendering plant and put back in the feed. Just watched a "dirty jobs" show and nothing g0es to waste.

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
file-6.jpg

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tilapia are pretty bland to me. Fresh smelt remind me of cucumbers. I have no first hand knowledge of what the inside of an ass smells like; I have to believe, based on what I have heard, they do not smell like fish.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
MSA,

Where have you ever run across smelt for human consumption at a market?

All those bags of smelt they often sell/sold at grocery stores were all labled "not for human consumption".

Messing with you, aside. Fresh smelt out of Sakakawea are quite edible. I found I didn't like them much though once they were frozen, even if it was immediately frozen after being caught.

Back when we had a Piggly Wiggly store in town they sold Giant Rainbow smelt 8 to 10 inches long with cooking directions on the back of the package. Does anyone know of a place in Fargo that sells giant rainbow smelt so I can stock up ? All I can find here are the small ones. I like big smelt on Norwegian hooks for ice fishing.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ones they used to sell at leevers a while back also had cooking instructions. I used to think "interesting". But, never bothered as I was buying them as bait. But, they were clearly labeled for human consumption. Ain't paid much attention lately.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tilapia are pretty bland to me. Fresh smelt remind me of cucumbers. I have no first hand knowledge of what the inside of an ass smells like; I have to believe, based on what I have heard, they do not smell like fish.

The water is warming up fast in the small lakes, Been eating Metigoshe Northerns the last couple of weeks that have no taste what so ever except for the spices we put on them. I noticed it right off the bat and wife mentioned it right away too. Next time out I'm going to bleed them out and throw them on ice to see if that helps. I can't get that smell out of my head that Multi described , I love the smell of fish growing in tanks, First cutting of fresh grass in the spring ~ Melons and cucumbers. .

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fargo Bait and Tackle will hook you up. If I have an in-law coming this direction I have them pick me up some. They probably think I'm wierd calling them and making an order like that but it's the best stuff I've found. Plus it's usually is good condition, not mangled like the smelt you usually see.

Back when we had a Piggly Wiggly store in town they sold Giant Rainbow smelt 8 to 10 inches long with cooking directions on the back of the package. Does anyone know of a place in Fargo that sells giant rainbow smelt so I can stock up ? All I can find here are the small ones. I like big smelt on Norwegian hooks for ice fishing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also didn't we just have the discussion about "commercial" walleye fishing? I'm not going to encourage anyone to eat it until that nonsense gets straightened out.

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you find that the northerns become too fishy tasting later in the year? So far we have enjoyed them throughout the summer from Sak.

A fellow in Ohio was able to obtain some fertile tilapia and kept them in a large tank at school for an FFA project or such until his pond was warm enough to stock. They kept his pond algae free and spawned a few times and made bass food. End of summer, they caught as many as they could before cold killed them, between he and his friends fishing them out and the bass eating them, it worked well.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me it seems like Seems like all fish from small lakes go from sweet taste and smell in the winter and early spring/summer cold water to bland and even muddy/stinky depending on the lake size and water make up. Bigger deeper lakes seem to produce better tasting summer fish IMO.

Last edited:

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I read a story about Farm raised tilapia in china and the comments were terrifying. I heard they feed the fish chicken shit and what ever other organic waste that they have around. I would not eat that fish form China or really any food product from China. I'll stick with eating the fish I catch.

A lot of our China raised seafood is apparently pretty bad. Shrimp especially, though I sure eat it without thinking about it.. Most of the worlds supply of shrimp is Chinese raised, and who knows what is in it!., Yep, hard to beat ND Walleye.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31